Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I got me a 89 sami and I will like to convert it to 2wd!! can someone tell me where can i get a front axle beam and if i can use one other than a sami..
T/you..4 ur Help.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Understood.
A friend of mine did that many years ago and it turned out decent. He did complain that although it looked cool, it wasn't worth all the work he put into the conversion. Understand though, that he had to fab everything himself because it was over 10 years ago and there was no 'kit'. His Zook was also lifted, so he didn't have that clearance issue.

Your best bet is to search the web for a stock 2wd front axle. They are rare, but I have seen many 2wd to 4wd conversions done. The axles have to be out there somewhere.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Early Jeep DJ front axle. (Mail Jeep) Will probably be free to good home....Tons of them out there rusting away in yards......Same width.....Boxcar...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
T/you....guys!!! I will start looking and if you find one lmk!!!!
I was looking at some sami pix's last night at saw a front diff cut in the middle, the center carrier remove, and a bar welded in it places..... u think that's safe??

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts

Hmmm.
It can be done, but you would have to know how to build a jig that would let you replace the center while keeping everything straight. You also have to trust your welding skills as welding on suspension and drivetrain can really ruin your day if you get it wrong.

Your fab skills should decide the direction you take - either building or buying.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What ^^ said.
Have you considered offering to trade your 4WD with someone starting to swap 4WD into a 2WD ?
Several cities bought fleets of 2WD Samis to use as 'meter maid' transportation.
There must be clusters of them around.
Vancouver, Canada did that.
If you fabricate your own axle remember to arrange for lubrication of hubs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no!!! but if someone is looking for a front and rear diff I will have them for sale or trade!!! I found a 2wd axle in FL for 200 ship to me..but is just the axle no spindle,rotors...just the beam.... u think is to much??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts