Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 XL-7 is due for Rego and upon inspection they found both Wheel Bearings are Shagged...

Are Wheel bearings suppose to Fail on a Regular basis..
The Wheel Bearings have only done 20,000k's surely they should last longer then this ???

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,255 Posts
Improper preload...

.... Philip

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you explain a little more about Pre-load ??

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
The front wheel bearing nut has to be torqued to 215 nM (157 lb-ft) and it requires a special socket, which it seems not that many people have, or are willing to buy, along with a torque wrench somewhat larger than most people have.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know they just replaced the whole hub.. not just the bearing ???

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
Not sure if I missed something, but bearing or hub, the preload must be completed correctly...

.... Philip

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
215nm is a CRAP load of torque....

2nd Question would be.. How the hell is water getting inside the bearings !!

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
215nm is a CRAP load of torque....

2nd Question would be.. How the hell is water getting inside the bearings !!
Bad seal, or damaged spindle..... or,

Poor workmanship on install, not packed with correct if any grease...

..... Philip

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK to bring you up to speed.. They have replaced the Hubs and seals, Lock Rings and Nuts and have torqued them down to spec.
As far as I know they have used a Timken or something Bearing kit which is a little bit dearer then the Repco ones they used last time... So time will tell if they have managed to stop the bearings from filling up with water..

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK.. Its happened again... The Front Wheel bearing is stuffed again..
It seems every 12-16 months I am replacing wheel bearings..
I have never had to replace the wheel bearings so often on any other vehicle before !

Its getting a tad annoying.... 3 sets in less than 4 years !

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
OK.. Its happened again... The Front Wheel bearing is stuffed again..
It seems every 12-16 months I am replacing wheel bearings..
I have never had to replace the wheel bearings so often on any other vehicle before !

Its getting a tad annoying.... 3 sets in less than 4 years !
Failed bearings are usually caused by improper install, lubrication or poor pre-load... all fall under the heading of user error...

... Philip

·
Super Moderator
13,748 Posts
Not disagreeing with you there Phil, but, there are also poor quality bearings out there.

Magnat - which seals were replaced?

Do you have free wheel hubs fitted to that vehicle, were they properly installed, with the paper gaskets lightly greased, also is the vehicle lifted?

There are seals on the back of the hub itself that seal the hub to the spindle, and also seals on the back of the knuckle that seal the CV to the knuckle. Excess axial movement of the CV axle can compromise these seals admitting water through from behind, and improperly fitted hubs also can allow water in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The original factory set of front bearings on my 2003 XL-7 4WD lasted 100K kms. I was disappointed as I have cars with 400K that are rolling on the original equipement.
After getting a replacement price of $1000.00 from my friendly Suzuki dearler (and who wants bearings that wear that fast), I decided to do it myself. After borrowing / renting various front hub removers, I installed Raybestos Hub Bearing Assemblies 713193 from RockAuto. These have outlasted the originals already and have no sign of failure, and I highly recommend them. I installed them myself and there are no tricks or special techniques required, although it took two tries to rent the proper adaptor, as it is bigger than most. I think both assemblies were just over $100.00 to buy, so there was lots of room for profit in the Suzuki dealer estimate.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as I know it was a complete Timken Front Wheel hub bearing.. Properly torqued down to something like 215nm..

It was properly installed.. Its just I seem to go through a hell of a lot of Front wheel bearings..

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Personally I think the wheel bearings seals are not adequate.
They only have the small seal built into the rear of the bearing.
The older non ABS hubs with the cartridge bearing had two decent oil seals.
I would think they would last for road use but if you drive through deeper water I don't believe they would be up to the job. Once you get water in them they will soon screw up.

Old type below (maybe GV only)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do I need any special tools to let my mechanic friend do the job ??
He does work on Toyota's but has asked me if it needs a spindle lock tool or something and if so... what is it ?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW.. thats an expensive little bugger !
Would one that fits the normal vitara be able to work ?

·
Super Moderator
18,422 Posts
Possibly, but I can't commit to which tool will fit for sure.

They are also "loaner" tools at some Auto Parts establishments. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts