Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Tracker V6 exhaust measures about 2" at the tailpipe. I recently noticed however, that a 2004 Grand Vitara tailpipe is about 2.25" +/-.

I'd like to use this larger exhaust on my Tracker but I can't seem to find a part number. All the GV exhaust components I can find are listed as having a 2" diameter.

Did the '04 GV come stock with a 2.25" exhaust? Can anyone supply a part number? Any known interchange issues with the 2" intermediate pipe flange?

Since the wheelbase is the same across all 2G model years, I was hoping it would swap right over.

Thanks everyone for any info or advice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody?

My 02 Tracker ZR2 recently has a 2.7L engine as detailed in a separate thread. I believe it needs more flow than the 2.5L. Lots of new power until I tightened up an exhaust leak. Now we have performance issues.

The Tracker's service history shows that the PO also had problems with exhaust restriction. There was some indication the muffler might be packed with debris. So I pulled the intermediate pipe, and look what I found:
Hood Wood Gas Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Gas

I'm going to get a new muffler and fab something up. Anybody have any thoughts whether I should go with larger than 2" diameter? Maybe just a high flow muffler? Or replace everything from the Y pipe rearward with 2.25"?

Advice welcome. Thanks again.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Bigger diameter equals more flow, but too big can introduce performance issues. 2" should be fine, 2.25 might be better

Since you have done an engine swap, you could measure the diameter at the Y pipe and add 0.25 " to give a bit better flow.

Here's some light insomnia cure stuff on the subject

Going bigger in diameter increases volume very rapidly. I'm at 3" per bank on my 383 ci V8 and its not showing any restrictions on the dyno out to 6800 rpm, but the original 253 was showing rapid drop in performance at 4600 on the factory 2" pipes (1 per bank, no Y pipe) but cleaned up nicely at 2,25"

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much. You had me going there for a second. Then I remembered, V8, you must be talking about that Holden! Very cool. I'd like to see one someday.

I will read the article when I get cleaned up.

I tore the stock muffler apart, out of curiosity. Not badly plugged. So another stock muffler would just put me back where I started.

Do you know if the later 2G GVs came stock with a 2.25"?

I'll probably reinstall the old rodded-out 2" intermediate pipe, and put a high performance 2" muffler on the old tailpipe, to see if there's any improvement.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
I don't know the stock size, sorry. If you're replacing it, 2.25 would certainly help it breathe a bit better but may increase low tones in the exhaust making it a bit more "droney "

Ill have to get some pics of the ute up on here for people.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please do.

Maybe my daughter's 04 Grand Vitara has a custom exhaust. It's larger than 2" at the tailpipe, I can confirm that much.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Please do.

Maybe my daughter's 04 Grand Vitara has a custom exhaust. It's larger than 2" at the tailpipe, I can confirm that much.
Tail pipe is meaningless, its the diameter from header back thats the important bit. How many "boy racers" have you seen with 3 inch tail pipes on a 1.75 main pipe system

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
heres a couple from the rebuild, I will have to find the backup drive that has the finished pics on it
Just a few showing home made sump to clear steerring, drop bracket for hand brake mount, just how tight the headers are by the steering box, and the exhaust system, 3" from header to tail pipe. Shot of the bottom end as well, showing scallops for the big ends to clear the block, and the nioce 4 bolt main setup.
note the heat melt plug in the welch plug on the block,that melts due to over temp at 125C, my engine builder won't warranty any failure if thats melted.

and yes, thats a ford 9" torq-lok diff shoe horned in there, set at about 149 ft-lbs release pressure

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tail pipe is meaningless, its the diameter from header back thats the important bit.
I'm assuming hers is 2.25" from front to back, which is why I asked the question. I only measured the tailpipe.

I'm so sore today I couldn't get under her car if I wanted to.

That's a really interesting looking rig. What year? Your area of the world is my #1 bucket list destination, if I ever convince myself to travel.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

My '72, surrounded by my old Honda bikes. (That's a '66 Honda CB450K0 "black bomber" hidden back in the corner.)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice. Hard to find a rust free example nowadays. (In ~1976 my friend wrapped one of those around a tree, with me in the passenger seat.)

·
Super Moderator
19,793 Posts
I've been fortunate for a part-time Northern USA (snow / salt) and ocean exposure vehicle. Front floor area and one lower fender spot repair, completed 20 years ago. Garage babied since.

One door was rusted badly on the very bottom. A $40 bone-yard (with glass) donor replacement part back in the day! Long gone examples now. :(

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Helmet

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Paint Bumper

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did a muffler delete, straight pipes to the tailpipe. Sounds awful, and I still can't replicate the acceleration I had before I tightened my loose manifold bolts.

So I need a new exhaust system. But I'll be inspecting that '04 system before making any decisions.

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Mines a 1971, came from the factory with a 253 V8, somewhat improved now only 1 careful lady owner.

This is what they look like

Attachments

Reactions: rallison203

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok back to the subject at hand.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car

Today I had a muffler shop install new 2.25" pipe and a performance muffler, from the rear cat all the way back.

I kept my hollowed out intermediate pipe for now. The shop wouldn't delete the old cat without replacing it with a new one, so I'll replace it with straight pipe some other time.

For now, performance is certainly improved. Not as good as open headers, but better than stock, that's for sure.

Not crazy about the tip. But I've got the meanest sounding Tracker in the county!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Took it back to the shop. I had them weld up the muffler tip I wanted, and while there, I asked them to raise the muffler up a little. It was hanging a bit low.

All done, very pleased with the performance, the sound and the look.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm trying to eliminate the last stretch of 2" pipe in my 02 Tracker ZR2 exhaust system.

The muffler shop left the nonfunctional 2.5L rear cat in place, cut the 2" pipe a few inches downstream, then adapted to a 2.25" pipe. I want to replace the old cat and that short section of 2" pipe, and adapt directly to 2.25" on the outlet side of the Y pipe, where the spring bolts are. Then install a functioning rear cat, or just run straight pipe to the muffler.

I finally got a photo of the mid cat on a stock 2004 Suzuki GV. Stamped with Suzuki Part No. 67D C02 FUTABA. The pipes on this dude are 2.25" OD I believe.
Font Pattern Metal Fashion accessory Circle

I thought maybe I could adapt this larger size cat and mid pipe to my new system.

However. My local junkyard won't sell used catalytic converters. So I called another junkyard and the guy told me it's against federal law for junkyards to sell them. Whether it is or not is sort of irrelevant, because he believes it is, and he won't sell me one. I believe that's the situation state-wide here. So I'll have to craft something up or run straight pipe.

Anyway, back to my present situation, can anyone offer a suggestion on keeping my old 2.5L Y pipe, but adapting immediately downstream to 2.25"? Do these ball flanges come in a standard size, where I could simply buy a new flange and adapt immediately to 2.25" pipe all the way to the muffler?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess what I'm looking for, is the outlet mating flange for this:
Tool Bicycle part Wood Nickel Metal

Does this ball flange adapter look right?
Walker Exhaust 41726 Exhaust Pipe Amazon.com: Walker Exhaust 41726 Exhaust Pipe : Automotive

So I can then adapt to 2.25" on the outlet side of that flange, using something like this?
SUPERFASTRACING 2" ID to 2.25" ID Universal Exhaust Pipe to Component Pipe Adapter Reducer Kit 2 Inch to 2.25 Inch https://a.co/d/1wa7UYK

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, this is the flange I think I need. Two bolt 2.25" female ball flange adapter. Anyone?
Walker Exhaust 41725 Exhaust Pipe https://a.co/d/hBuCZQm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts