Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks,
So I've got a question about the NGV service schedule, and vehicle warranty.

My 2012 GV has just reached 25k KMs, and I'm wondering what the service schedule calls for as far as maintainable goes.

I ask because the last time I had my oil changed, the guy at the shop asked if I'd like to change the rear differential fluid as well, as Suzuki recommends this be done at 25,000 kms. I declined as the vehicle was at about 22,000 kms at the time, and I figured there's half a chance I can change the fluid on my own.

So I am wondering if anyone knows what exactly a Suzuki dealership would perform for a 25k service? If any of the things they'd do could've performed by a novice, but determined, backyard mechanic like myself? Where I might find instructions or a sericve manual to guide me ithrough these procedures? And lastly, if my performing any if these things myself would negatively affect my warranty?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate any advices you can give me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My 2011 has just hit 20,000 km, it was a dealer demo that just sat on the lot and I've just owned it just 1.5 yrs.

It sounds like your normal-useage maintenance schedule is not the same as ours downunder. All our checks and oil changes occur at 15,000 km intervals so there is nothing at 25,000 km. The diff oils are changed at 15,000 km.

That said, I changed both diffs at only 6,000 km because in my experience with other Suzukis the magnets on the drain plugs are small and weak, so wanted to clear them of run-in debris. Glad I did too as they were full. I also change my engine oil at about 8,000 km intervals because I do short trips.

It's a very easy job to do yourself if you can fit underneath. Also check the level in the transfer case while the tools are out.

Another item you can do yourself is rotate the tyres and 25k km is about right in my estimation.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have a 2006, but I'd guess the schedule for the 2012 is similar. Under "normal use" only the engine oil and filter are replaced at 25K. Under "severe use" the air filter, transmission fluid (both manual or auto), the diffs and transfer case oils are replaced.

Suzuki classified all of Canada as "severe" because of the winter conditions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips so far! I'd probably not thought of rotating the tires. Good tip.
So, I guess I'll have a better idea when I get under the car, but do both the front and rear diffs have both drain, and fill holes? Or will I need some sort of a pump to put fluid in?
Same questions for the transfer case. Is there a drain and a fill plug?

Regarding the trans fluid, would a trans fluid flush be ? Or could I simply drain and refill the fluid at home?

Lastly, does anyone know of compatible synthetic fluids for the transfer case, differentials, and transmission? Would there be any be idiot to using synthetics over conventional fluids, and is it worth the additional costs?

Thanks again folks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the tips so far! I'd probably not thought of rotating the tires. Good tip.
So, I guess I'll have a better idea when I get under the car, but do both the front and rear diffs have both drain, and fill holes? Or will I need some sort of a pump to put fluid in?
Same questions for the transfer case. Is there a drain and a fill plug?

Regarding the trans fluid, would a trans fluid flush be ? Or could I simply drain and refill the fluid at home?

Lastly, does anyone know of compatible synthetic fluids for the transfer case, differentials, and transmission? Would there be any be idiot to using synthetics over conventional fluids, and is it worth the additional costs?

Thanks again folks!
you will need a pump or a long hose and gravity trickle down the new fluid for the front & rear diff.

Trans fluid, only drain and fill.

can only replace 3ltr at a time. drain 3ltr, fill 3 ltr through dipstick.

total capacity of trans is 10 ltr on h27a.

you can only replace all of that when doing overhaul.

I would just stick to whats recommended.

mobil 3309 atf

api gl-5 80w90diff and transfer case

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Bludger: thats interesting. I never knew you could only drain 3 litres. Would the dealership just drain and replace 3L of fluid, or would they drain 3, fill 3 three times?

And for the diffs, and transfer case; I'm guessing I would check to see if they are topped up via an inspection plug, or once it reaches the fill plug?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Top off to the fill plug on those. I would suggest changing only the diff fluids at this low kms, you're a bit early for the others, just check the levels.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Since my last service interval I lost the original schedule. It took only one search on the Internet to find a 1-page schedule for the 2006-2008 GV, so there should be an equivalent for your 2012.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts