Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my jimny last year, i immediately change the tire size from its stock 205/70/15 which is very slippery to 215/75/15 pirelli scorpio a/t.

but when i had my jimny under its periodic maintainance check up, they informed me that it is not allowed and they might void my warranty. i really don't get it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't know if they would void your warranty but you did add both height and width of your tires. That will affect your speedometer and odometer readings and it can affect the ABS if it equipped. Your new tires are 1.4 inches taller than stock. They go around 314 times per mile less than the stock size. Most manufacturers can adjust the computer to compensate for the difference but there is a certain range they will do it in. You might have gone up too much for Suzuki.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done the same to my XL7, I change to a bit more aggresive tire. 225-70r-16.
I don.t have alot of clearence but it sure looks alot better.
The dealer here said something about ABS but I don't get that, Could you spread some light on that.

:banana:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most ABS systems use wheel speed to determine if the brakes are locking up. Changing tire size will change wheel speed compared to the ABS computer's base. Sometimes excessive change will cause problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another problem is that taller tires put stress on components like suspension and brakes. So car manufacturers only honor warranties with a stock setup. This tire calculator recommends staying within 3% of stock tire diameter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts