Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
In the above, we have noticed that when a phone (Samsung Galaxy A52) is plugged into the USB port, and probably is connected to/through Android Auto, then the phone does not charge above its current level. In fact it seems that the charge level decreases on long journeys. There is a notification saying the phone is charging but the current charge level never increases e.g. 85% at the beginning of a journey and 85% or less at the end of the journey (the journey could be several hours long). I can't find anywhere on any Suzuki website that gives the charge current available from the USB port.

I wonder if it is the age-old '1A' in which case that would explain it given many phones these days require 2A or 2.5A .

Does anyone have any info or ideas, please?

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
It will be 1A at best, more like 800 mA, phone will be drawing more than that running the apps. My note 20 loses power when plugged in to my non stock Android head unit. Turn off the music and it starts charging.

Reactions: Colinsw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be 1A at best, more like 800 mA, phone will be drawing more than that running the apps. My note 20 loses power when plugged in to my non stock Android head unit. Turn off the music and it starts charging.
Thank you, thats useful to know. Another mark against the Bosch head units, next tlo the ripoff cost of updating the maps ($187)

Is there any kind of fix? Like, does the head unit provide power or could we wog-wire another higher capacity charger across the power pins of the USB port?

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Thank you, thats useful to know. Another mark against the Bosch head units, next tlo the ripoff cost of updating the maps ($187)

Is there any kind of fix? Like, does the head unit provide power or could we wog-wire another higher capacity charger across the power pins of the USB port?
Separate charger is the only way. Most head units even the aftermarket ones are not designed to charge phones, just to communicate with them fir Android auto or to play music.

Mine has 2 usb sockets, both rated at 1 A thats it.

Go buy a navman, lifetime free maps and a lot easier to use than the rubbish inbuilt nav.

Reactions: Colinsw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Separate charger is the only way. Most head units even the aftermarket ones are not designed to charge phones, just to communicate with them fir Android auto or to play music.

Mine has 2 usb sockets, both rated at 1 A thats it.

Go buy a navman, lifetime free maps and a lot easier to use than the rubbish inbuilt nav.
So investigating the 'separate' charger idea, how would we then use Android Auto?

The idea of another GPS device while interesting is kind of impractical, seeing as the phone can run any number of GPS Apps and run them through the Android Auto interface. I would still like to investigate the idea of tapping into the USB +5 and 0 volt pins and connect a higher capacity charger to them. Doing that would solve the problem and is relatively easy to do

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
So investigating the 'separate' charger idea, how would we then use Android Auto?

The idea of another GPS device while interesting is kind of impractical, seeing as the phone can run any number of GPS Apps and run them through the Android Auto interface. I would still like to investigate the idea of tapping into the USB +5 and 0 volt pins and connect a higher capacity charger to them. Doing that would solve the problem and is relatively easy to do
You can't use a separate charger, either use Android auto or charge the phone.
Trying to add another charger to the power connection in the line to the socket will end in tears. Go google how usb determines charge current and limits it on a non usb 3 interface

1 - 6 of 6 Posts