Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

few days ago I got my new Ignis (1.2 Petrol) and did 160km with it
Aaaaand not sure if I have the problem. :)
Car sometimes cannot engage into first and sometimes not even into second gear.
To solve it, I have to put it into one gear higher then release a clutch a bit to have car move slightly. After that I can use first gear.
Also, sometimes I get that krrrrr noise when putting it into reverse. :)

Local Suzuki dealership said that transmission on that car is "technologically old" and it does not have a sync between the gears, and that described behavior is normal.

Cmon!!!!????
My y2003 1.3 Wagon R shifts gears nicely and never had these symptoms.

Anyone else has these kind of issues?

Tnx

·
Registered
757 Posts
No - it's occasionally reluctant to go into reverse when stationary requiring a clutch release and redepression to resolve - but that happens on many cars. I've never had an issue when going along.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
yep, welcome to the world of a brand new "tight" manual box, its all new, no "slop" so if the gears aren't aligned exactly, it won't go in. Neutral, foot off clutch, foot on clutch, select gear. If that won't work, find any gear, let foot off clutch to make things move just a bit, foot on clutch and select the gear you want. Will be fine when moving, awkward when stopped until its done a few kms (like 10,000 or so)

My manual cortina still does it if i roll up to a stop and then try and select first.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I noticed a recalcitrant third gear when driving away from the showroom and reported it. However it had disappeared in a day or so and the gearchange has been fine since. Now on 3150 miles

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I have now 300km and can cay it gets better. Seems that gearbox needs some time.
It is a nice little car and I love it.
this is what is referred to as "breaking in" a new car. Engine won't be fully run in and economic until its done about 30,000 kms, expect good economy new, it will drop off then return as the km's rise. Don't ask why, suzuki's all seem to do it.

Gearboxes, especially manuals will take a few kms to get to a smooth shifting stage. Expect 5-10,000 kms before its getting properly smooth. First major service should change the gearbox oil, after that it should get a lot better.

I am even noticing my 2015 GV transfer case is now "loosening" up after 30,000 kms and going in and out of low range a lot better.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maintenance regimes differ depending on where you live. I can't recall having ever had a service which changed the gearbox oil - on any car - in 40 years.

Suzuki recommendations vary depending on whether the gearbox is filled with Genuine "SUZUKI GEAR OIL 75W" (which one has to assume is in the car new) or something else - and by locality:

EU countries and Israel:

Genuine: Inspect: every 24 months. Replace: never
Other: Replace: every 24 months.

EU countries and Israel - "Severe" Driving:

Genuine: Inspect: every 12 months. Replace: every 48 months
Other: Replace: every 12 months.

Other countries:

Genuine: Inspect: every 24 months. Replace: never
Other: Inspect at 12 months only Replace: every 36 months.

Other countries - "Severe" Driving:

Genuine: Inspect: every 24 months. Replace: every 48 months
Other: Replace: every 24 months.

(There are mileage criteria too)(I hope I've transcribed that right - didn't expect it to be so involved...)

So the conclusion is that for "normal" driving the gearbox oil is never replaced - unless it's been changed to a non-approved oil in the past.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the first few miles the gearbox didn’t feel completely smooth changing between first and second gears. However, this very soon disappeared (can’t remember the mileage...!) and now, at 2200 miles, all gear changes are super smooth.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine also had that refuse to engage 1st since got from dealer (all others gears were initially OK), but soon in about 50-100km problem gone and 1st engages smooth and it has a good feeling of the lever and the clutch.
It was matter of time as was still new and needs a little working out.

When engaging reverse, i have that "krrrrr" sound when trying to quickly engage.
It needs stronger pust of the lever to the end point to engage reverse and probably slower moving. Then it is OK.

Many japanese have this sound when engaging reverse though..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone,

To solve it, I have to put it into one gear higher then release a clutch a bit to have car move slightly. After that I can use first gear.

Local Suzuki dealership said that transmission on that car is "technologically old" and it does not have a sync between the gears, and that described behavior is normal.

Cmon!!!!????

Tnx
We have a nearly year old allgrip Ignis, reverse gear the same, dealers said no synchro, change gear slower or wait for the revs to drop before selecting reverse. Poor to find this out after the purchase.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gearbox improved dramatic after 3000 miles and now changes lovely on the ignis ZT .
Would only worry myself if gear changes were awkward after 5000 miles , I.e dragging clutch or spigot bearing / Bush in flywheel would then be suspects ! ( unlikely to happen) the ignis seems to loosen up lovely all round as parts bed in xx

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes mine also got a big improvement , gears' all smooth and nice feel as when clasp the lever.
also reverse doesn't need to press tight to right to engage , just a smooth movement and nicely lever goes down to engage with no noises.
Just the revs need to be lower than 1k otherwise it may sound a little..

·
Banned
507 Posts
We bought ours with 9400 miles on it and reverse was very crunchy but it’s improving now.
Overall I really like the gearbox; precise and positive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a nearly year old allgrip Ignis, reverse gear the same, dealers said no synchro, change gear slower or wait for the revs to drop before selecting reverse. Poor to find this out after the purchase.
I’m having the same trouble with first and second gear and the krrrr in reverse. It can be a struggle at times. I probably won’t buy another one of these cars

·
Registered
757 Posts
Welcome to this forum - what mileage is yours showing. My car's fine and apart from the odd difficulty in the first hundred miles and the usual crunch into reverse which seems to affect most cars I've not had any issues.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't know much about the newer model and assume you have a clutch pedal. If the problem worries you too much, then stop the engine and select reverse, press clutch, start engine, no grrrrr. This was the standard practice of old days before moving forward from being parked.

·
Registered
251 Posts
After a few hundred miles the gearbox should be slick though reverse will crunch at times unless you take your time. A persistent problem needs investigating. It can be caused by clutch adjustment, friction plate not moving freely or floor mats preventing the pedal depressing fully.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello everyone,

Cmon!!!!????

Tnx
I only find that it's difficult to select 1st or reverse if the car is cold once it warms up no probs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

Cmon!!!!????

Tnx
Hi , i have an Ignis allgrip GL+ 2017 i have similar issues with the gear box the 1rst is difficult to engage many times and when is engaged the sense is not smooth i like having a 2 step engaging .
For reverse the same , but for reverse in order not to squeak i have i work around which when stop from moving wait 5 secs and then press clutch and engage reverse . An how i am really disappointed with the gear box i am seriously thinking to sell it .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts