Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May seem trivial, however, recently noticed all three Wiper Blade rubbers, have split at the ends. Apart from being annoyed, because they lasted less than two years; also discovered they are not compatible with a 'generic' replacement. Is there anyone else confounded by this? To make it worse, can't even see how they come apart for replacement...and yes, I've changed a few blades in the past 40 years, fairly easily. The main question I suppose, do they need to be ordered from my (also clueless) Suzuki Dealer? My feeling is, won't walk away with much change from $100, for something that should be 0nly $15!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Depends on the style. I havent had a look but a lot of the holden dunnydoors and nissans have a one piece blade that just looks like a solid wiper arm, not the metal pivoting arms. Go see super dear or rippco and see what they have on the shelf. If you can fit a "standard" blade to the arm, do it now, worth the cost outlay now for the savings later

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your thoughts. Rippco didn't have anything near the correct lengths...was pondering a complete swap; and Auobum suggested Suzuki Dealer, because they believed it was impossible to remove or fit new rubber! Shall try the Spuzuki on Monday...and report findings.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I think they are a total replacement head, like the fraud fiestas with the explodoboost engine and a few others that seem to be using one piece heads now.

You "should" be able to buy a generic style head to fit the existing wiper arm

·
Registered
484 Posts
eurocarparts.com is listing quite a few manufacturers - including a Unipart one for the driver's side at 49p.

However having looked at the original blades they are rather nicely blended into the design.

That said this set on eBay for all three at less than £20 could work (albeit the passenger one is 19" for some reason not 18" as the car has on presently)...

heyner.JPG

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Yep, one piece blades, those things here and in Aussie run to quite a bit if money. Even online with shipping and taxes they will be about $50 each

·
Registered
290 Posts
In the UK - the Suzuki listed parts are just over £50 for the front pair and £12 for the rear. The correct size for the front is 21 and 18 inches. Some references list the left hand as 19 inches but this will take the end of the blade pretty close to the top section of the rubber screen surround. Original part designs may well vary since consumables are usually multi sourced. On my Ignis - it's a metal clawed holder with a 3 part jointed cover - very neat. It is possible to fit blade refills simply by releasing the end claw and sliding out the refill and stiffners. However there are a myriad of beam or aero blades on the marked similar to that shown by gloucester above. These are very neat and unobtrusive. You can buy reasonable ones for £8 or so a pair or around £18 a pair for Bosch - hardly worth the effort of fitting refills!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
In the UK - the Suzuki listed parts are just over £50 for the front pair and £12 for the rear. The correct size for the front is 21 and 18 inches. Some references list the left hand as 19 inches but this will take the end of the blade pretty close to the top section of the rubber screen surround. Original part designs may well vary since consumables are usually multi sourced. On my Ignis - it's a metal clawed holder with a 3 part jointed cover - very neat. It is possible to fit blade refills simply by releasing the end claw and sliding out the refill and stiffners. However there are a myriad of beam or aero blades on the marked similar to that shown by gloucester above. These are very neat and unobtrusive. You can buy reasonable ones for £8 or so a pair or around £18 a pair for Bosch - hardly worth the effort of fitting refills!
That's great in the UK. Here they see you coming and the wounded bull approach to pricing applies. Refill blades here $5, aero blades, start looking at $40 upwards. each.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's great in the UK. Here they see you coming and the wounded bull approach to pricing applies. Refill blades here $5, aero blades, start looking at $40 upwards. each.
There are dozens of pages on EBay UK of Aero blades at 3 - 4 Gbp each. Considering that most adverts include postage and selling commission- trade price must be below 2 Gbp each. Isn’t there an attractive import business opportunity here for you in NZ if you’re already in the motor trade?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Been there done that and the hassle is just not worth it. Its the taxation and import duties levied at this end that kill things. I can buy parts cheap on Ebay and rock auto for example, something starting at 3 quid would balloon to over 6 quid by the time all the import duties and additional tax is paid. Then theres my mark up to add to cover my costs. Figure an average of 60% on fast moving items if you're buying in bulk, up to 100% if they are sitting on a shelf for more than 4 weeks. Sonethings got to pay for the storage space.

I bought a turn key crate engine for my ute a few years ago for about 8500 nz dollars. Shipping was a very reasonable 500, the import duty was 3500 then the nz equivalent of vat and customs clearance costs.. Total cost on my garage floor $15,400

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
9,979 Posts
Yes, we have the same issue importing into Canada, most times the base cost of item is 1/3 of the landed cost

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, we have the same issue importing into Canada, most times the base cost of item is 1/3 of the landed cost
Ah, Canada...It was a Great place to Holiday. Couldn't afford to live there though.

Went to the Suzuki Dealer, they can only sell complete wiper blades. Currently $100 Au for the set. Decided to get 'Trico' inserts, and cut (carefully) to length.
The front blades use just 'standard' hook arms. Once I found the clever little hinged trap door, that when open, allows the blades to slide off.

The rear is one piece plastic bolt on, however with some dexterity the inserts will come out of the closed ends. The most fiddly part, is keeping the two metal strips in place,
whilst sliding in. Other markets may have a different arrangement; but I now have new rubbers for $30; plus that glow of DIY satisfaction...gradually being denied with modern Tech.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Yay, glad you got it sorted and relatively cheap too

·
Registered
9 Posts
Supercheap in NZ show the Tridon brand at NZ$48 - 24 pounds each blade, will fit. Probably less when they come on special.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Blimey, more costly items for the Ignis I am used to paying about £3.99 per blade!!!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Blimey, more costly items for the Ignis I am used to paying about £3.99 per blade!!!
thats what living in the antipodes does to the prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts