Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 2018 manual ignis 1.2 with 16k miles. I've noticed the clutch biting point is very high it selects gears fine. No slipping or judder. Is this a common thing high biting point?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've just purchased a 2018 manual ignis 1.2 with 16k miles. I've noticed the clutch biting point is very high it selects gears fine. No slipping or judder. Is this a common thing high biting point?
Clutch cable probably needs adjusting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Cable could be stretched, but it's not a high mileage car, so I doubt it. Don't compare it to what you are used to as there is not going to be a standard set point. The original Ignis had a very easy to adjust cable on top of the gearbox. The longer you make the cable, the lower the pedal. This could cause problems in years to come as the cable will need to shortened in the future or risk clutch slip.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Clutch pedal travel can be adjusted but should never need doing unless disturbed. Just check that the surface of the pedal is level with the brake pedal. There needs to be free play on the cable otherwise the clutch will suffer premature wear. The pedal should have 10 to 20mm of free play which translates to 2 to 4mm play at the gearbox end of the cable. The cable connects to the actuator just under the gearbox and the adjuster can be reached just under the left hand side of the front valance. Adjust the nut to give the correct clearance and grease the area around the adjuster. Correct clutch pedal height and cable free play will set the clutch bite point.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Clutch pedal travel can be adjusted but should never need doing unless disturbed.
Using the clutch "Office Girl at traffic lights on uphill start" style compared to "Mechanic on downhill start" style can be a huge difference to clutch life expectancy and the need to adjust the cable!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch pedal sits a couple of inches higher than the brake pedal. Biting point is almost at the top. Needs to go back to dealers let them sort it out.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Welcome to this forum.

I will try and remember to check next time I go out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Both the brake and clutch pedals are adjusted to a specified distance between the pedal and the floor and when adjusted correctly, the two pedals should be roughly level. A couple of inches difference is an issue! Adjustment is done by screwing a flimsy bolt and locknut which contacts a rubber pad on the pedal. It's possible that someone has erroneously adjusted the bolt in an attempt to adjust the free play on the cable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the Ignis biting point is high in general, I've seen a few drivers mention this on the interwebs. I guess if it is unusually high then then it's not normal. Mine is a tad high from what I remember (not driven manual cars for a while so hard to compare), but not high enough to think there's an issue (operates fine and comfortable to use).

·
Registered
710 Posts
Finally remembered to check mine this morning. The clutch pedal is slightly higher at rest than the brake - say 10mm. Biting point appears to be about half travel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Make sure you've got a little bit of free play at the top of the pedal stroke. As the clutch wears you loose the free play and the cable ends up taught like a bow string preventing the clutch fully engaging. This rapidly wears the clutch plate. Unfortunately clutch adjustment seems to get overlooked at service these days, especially by younger generation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Suzuki service schedule lists clutch free play inspection at every service. Many manufacturers fit hydraulic clutches which are self adjusting and a type of hydraulic clutch utilising a concentric slave cylinder is now commonplace. Companies like Ford have been fitting automatically adjusting cable clutches since the 70's. For manually adjustable clutches, once the cable has initially stretched and the plate bedded in - it's unlikely that further adjustment will be needed for mega miles. The pedal should have10 - 20mm of free play before resistance is felt. There is a Suzuki Technical Bulletin associated with jerky clutch pedal movement so this must have been a significant area of complaint to dealers. The solution is simply to grease the contact point under the cable adjuster and it may be an idea to repeat from time to time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts