Suzuki Forums banner

2017 Ignis - New Front Pads & Discs

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sukitom89 
#1 ·
Replaced the front pads and discs a few days ago - almost 40000 miles on the clock. The discs were at 18.5 mm thickness (18mm wear limit) so would have lasted a bit longer. Suzuki discs and pads would have set me back around £250 without fitting! I went for Blueprint pads at £18 a set and pushed the boat out with MTEC C-Hook performance discs at £65 a set. Early indications are excellent.

There are a couple of brands of pads available but listings for discs are inaccurate. The required discs are 231mm diameter, 20mm thickness, 45mm height and 60mm centre bore.

#3 ·
It's a month since I fitted new Blueprint pads and MTEC C-Hook discs. They're now well and truly bedded in and I'd have to say that the performance is excellent. If anything - stopping distances are shorter than with the original parts and there is much less brake noise under low speed braking.

#4 ·
The subject of front brakes has recently continued in a post entitled Tyres. I was very surprised that a poster reported worn out discs and pads at only 20000 miles or so. Like Carmania above - my discs and pads are reaching the end of their life at around 40000 and I'll shortly be replacing both.

In anticipation I've bought the new discs and pads and I can echo the comments about parts lists being inaccurate! The Suzuki part numbers are:
Pads 5510-62R00
Discs 55311-62R00

Good brand aftermarket brake pads are around £20 a set. I bought Blueprint part number ADK84245 - these are widely available. Mintex part number is MDB4029.
Discs can cause confusion - many catalogues list the wrong part. The important dimension is the diameter of 231mm - many of the wrong listings have diameters of 250+mm! I bought Delphi BG4974C discs at £52 a pair delivered from onlinecarparts.co.uk. There are APE discs on Ebay for £40 a pair delivered and the Mintex part number is MDC2901C.

So discs and pads can be replaced for under £70 + 45 minutes labour. It's a very easy DIY job - the setup is similar to many other Suzukis. Discs should be replaced before the minimum thickness of 18mm (20mm when new) and pads replaced when the lining is down to 3 - 4mm.

#5 ·
Yep I called the dealer today and said 21k is way too soon for new disks but he claimed it wasn’t.
I’m not sure whether to get disks and pads there where’ll I’ll get a courtesy car (but it’s 45 mins drive) and the weird alignment sorted (severe inner edge wear on front tyres, just had them replaced) or go more local and probably save money. They’ve quoted £300 which isn’t cheap. About £60 for wheel alignment.
I might be able to negotiate something as I think the disk and tyre wear aren’t right but I might not. Hmmmm...!

#6 ·
Life of disks & pads are going to vary with how & where the vehicle is used.

A high mileage vehicle that has done the majority of it's miles on motorways & interstates will have less wear on the brake system components than a similar vehicle that has spent it's time on local roads, similarly two apparently identical vehicles used in a hilly area can display marked differences in brake system wear if one driver downshifts to control rate of descent whilst the other uses the brakes for the same task.

To some extent, tire wear is affected similarly, tires that do the majority of their miles on a highway will last longer (cover more miles), than those which are driven in towns & cities.

#9 ·
I've heard a lot of really good things about Blueprint parts. Haven't fitted any myself yet though. I've used Mahle filters on my 1998 Vitara and they are a very decent replacement over the genuine ones.

ST

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.