Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new left hand 2016 Swift 1.2 (NZ) in EU. The basic edition GL is not equipped with neither DRLs besides fog lights nor fog lights.
I assume, since DRLs are compulsory by EU legislation even this edition should have DRLs.
Thus Suzuki made a "smarty" modification regarding lighting control lever as follows. According to the user's manual page 2-84 this lever has 3 positions:
(1) OFF
(2) Front position lighhts, tail lights, licence plate light, instruments lights are on but headlights are off.
(3) Front position lighhts, tail lights, licence plate light, instruments lights are on and headlights are on.

In my case positions (1) and (3) function EXACTLY the same way. Obviously for the sole reason to fulfill legislation requirements. Each time i turn this switch a hear a relay arming and disarming and this sound comes behind the glove box. I believe that they just use a relay switch to bridge lever's OFF position with (3) position.

It is at least annoying to have ALL lights on by the moment engine runs. They should have made it more efficient.

However, in my case dealer installed Suzuki fog lights as a gift and i wonder (and hopimg to your help) if i could find this relay switch and bridge the fog light switch in a way that when lever is at (1) OFF position fog lights be on.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english especially with technical terms.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying to figure out how exactly it works i found a black box behind the glove box.
I'll upload photos as soon as i unscrew and dismount it.
For the moment, if the engine doesn't run the lighting lever's knob function as it should be:
In [off] possition everything off.
In next position everything lights up except headlights and in the last position headlights switch on as well.
When the engine runs, [off] position results as the last position of this knob.

What i am gonna try to do is to write down the 10 colored cables coming out of the box and check the possibility to connect to the fog lights switch in order to switch on the fog lights (instead of all others lights) when the engine runs and the knob is at [off] .

Possible?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dismounted the black box behind the glove box which is responsible for the DRL function, having headlights and all the rest lights on while lighting lever's knob is at OFF position.
I uploaded some photos in case anyone can recognise it and provide useful info about it.
I didn't try to disconnected it first and try to switch on lights in order to determine if without this box car lights operate normally, as it happens when the engine doesn't run. Maybe i should have

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just bought a new 2016 Swift in EU. The basic edition GL is not equipped with neither DRLs besides fog lights nor fog lights.
I assume, since DRLs are compulsory by EU legislation even this edition should have DRLs.
If it's new, and there is a legal requirement for it to have DRL's, AND IT DOESN'T, take it to the dealer and get them to fix it.

elpa02 said:
According to the user's manual page 2-84 this lever has 3 positions:
(1) OFF
(2) Front position lighhts, tail lights, licence plate light, instruments lights are on but headlights are off.
(3) Front position lighhts, tail lights, licence plate light, instruments lights are on and headlights are on.
Sounds like normal function of switch, certainly the same as AUS vehicles.

elpa02 said:
In my case positions (1) and (3) function EXACTLY the same way.
So your headlights are on ALL THE TIME when the switch is off, this would drain the battery very quickly?

DRL's in many vehicles use the headlights in SERIES.
Once the engine is RUNNING, and the light switch is OFF, if your headlights are actually ON, I expect they are powered in SERIES, meaning each headlight gets 6 volts instead of 12, so they are ON, but dimmer than normal. This is achieved by switching a couple of relays to switch the headlights from normal operation (PARALLEL) to SERIES operation. This is how DRL's work

elpa02 said:
It is at least annoying to have ALL lights on by the moment engine runs. They should have made it more efficient.
This is the SAFETY function of DRL (Daytime running lights)

elpa02 said:
However, in my case dealer installed Suzuki fog lights as a gift and i wonder (and hopimg to your help) if i could find this relay switch and bridge the fog light switch in a way that when lever is at (1) OFF position fog lights be on.
Fog lights are used specifically for situations of fog, and generally also illuminate a rear lamp brightly as well. I suspect your lamps are working correctly per DRL requirements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Obviously Suzuki has bridged the lights' switch 2 positions (OFF and Headlights on) to be aligned to legal requirements in the cheapest way. So my Suzuki has no electrical problem.
It is a bit odd that even if all lights are ON including headlights -when the switch is at OFF - if the driver turns this switch on the next position then headlights switch off , as it should be if the switch operated normally, I mean that Suzuki made all this to prevent driver of having lights off -and to be aligned to legal requirements- but this is true only at OFF position.

The abovementioned happens only in the GL version (like mine) because it is not equipped with LED DRLs.
At GL+ and GLX versions of the same car which are equipped with LED DRLs (around the fog lights) the rest lights operate as usual.

Having headlights on ALL the time will drain my battery quicly, increased headlights temp for long time shall discolor headligts etc. Moreover, in the case of LED DRL's equipped versions only LED DRLs are on all the time whilst in my case all lights (tail's, plate's, instrument's ) plus headlights are ON permantly.

Since my GL has fog lights make me seeking a way to "unbridge" the light switch 2 positions (which are connected each other ) and drive the relays output to the fog light switch in a way that when the engine runs and the light switch is at OFF position the fog lights be on, permantly ON.
I've locate the relays box. It is behind the glove box.
I note that when the engine does not run, all lights operates as usual, meant that the relays box is active only then?

I upload some photos I’ve taken in case someone can provide useful info.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have some circuits of my GLX 2015, while they may be different, they may suit the overall circuit and give you a base idea, your drl circuit may be different though. If you think they are worth a look, send me a PM with your email address.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts