Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My Vitara has just passed its mot but with an advisory for "wear on steering tie rods". I'm surprised about this as although the car is 6 years old it has only covered 24k miles. Its never been damaged, curbed or off roaded. There is no discernable play in the steering wheel and it tracks in a straight line when being driven.
Has anybody else seen premature wear on steering tie rods like this?

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
Hi all. My Vitara has just passed its mot but with an advisory for "wear on steering tie rods". I'm surprised about this as although the car is 6 years old it has only covered 24k miles. Its never been damaged, curbed or off roaded. There is no discernable play in the steering wheel and it tracks in a straight line when being driven.
Has anybody else seen premature wear on steering tie rods like this?
Hi Fanumfour It is my understanding that "Advisories" as part of a UK MOT are intended to provide information to the vehicle owner of problems that are not mandatory as part of the test and are perhaps just an opinion by the tester. I feel that all aspects of vehicle steering during an annual vehicle test in UK either pass or fail.
Just a thought was your MOT certificate signed by Dick Head?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi wheelwright, thanks for your reply. yes its just an advisory, I was just surprised something like tie rods even came up on a car that had covered only 24k miles unless there is a specific issue with Suzuki Vitara tie rods. I am taking the car to a Suzuki agent tomorrow for them to inspect and comment. If there is an issue I will want to know why the premature failure, and if they have prematurely failed (worn) I would be asking for a contribution from Suzuki towards repair. I'm changing my car soon as the dealer is well aware? If there isn't an issue then its the tester? I was hoping to find out if any other Vitara owners had had this?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,101 Posts
I'm sure you have different ends on your Vitara, but at 269k km, on my 99, the tie rid ends a tight and secure.. even though I have used it off road, and in very deep snow (>20") in 4x4.

Reactions: Fanumfour

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
Hi wheelwright, thanks for your reply. yes its just an advisory, I was just surprised something like tie rods even came up on a car that had covered only 24k miles unless there is a specific issue with Suzuki Vitara tie rods. I am taking the car to a Suzuki agent tomorrow for them to inspect and comment. If there is an issue I will want to know why the premature failure, and if they have prematurely failed (worn) I would be asking for a contribution from Suzuki towards repair. I'm changing my car soon as the dealer is well aware? If there isn't an issue then its the tester? I was hoping to find out if any other Vitara owners had had this?
Hi Fanumfour it does sound as though someone is attempting to use the advisory as a lever to lower the value of your vehicle. In your position I would request the testing station to confirm and explain the the advisory of " wear on steering tie rods" or alternatively provide a new MOT certificate which does not include the advisory. As mentioned previously steering defects are normally PASS or FAIL. Good luck and keep in touch with the Forums.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got back from the dealer, it would appear both the track rod end and the tie rod are both worn a lot and need replacing. No explanation why this would of occurred at this mileage and a pretty high price to replace, which I declined. Off to my local garage now.
I have emailed Suzuki customer services, just have to wait for their response.

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
43 Posts
Hi Fanumfour it looks like your dealer or is it "stealer" has tried it on. A second opinion from your local garage on the condition of your steering rack inner joints and track rod ends should throw more light on this upset. There does not seem to be any recalls for you vehicle type regarding steering issues. The comments you mention provided by the dealer do suggest a failed vehicle test.
You may consider checking that the MOT test certificate you have is genuine by visiting www.gov.uk/check-mot-history.
Keep in touch on this matter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a reply from Suzuki themselves regarding the failed tie rod, " wear and tear"? At 24k miles? So it seems to me that Suzuki are saying their steering assembly wears out at 24k miles? OK then probably won't be buying another if that's the case. There is no damage on my car not even a nick on the wheels which have never once been curbed so not my fault. They are not what they used to be are they.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How much did the dealer want to replace both sides ?

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Road conditions can play a significant part, but yeah, 24k miles does seem a bit soon. Been driving close to the left hand side in the bumpy bits?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Road conditions can play a significant part, but yeah, 24k miles does seem a bit soon. Been driving close to the left hand side in the bumpy bits?
Nope to be honest the road wheels are in perfect order, my 18 year old Vitara sport has been off roaded and is on the original steering gear so I certainly would expect a Vitara that hasn't been off roaded to last longer than this. This 2015 vit is the 5th Suzuki 4x4 I've owned and the only one to have failed in this fashion.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Its always possible you got the "Friday afternoon " production bits. I'll be interested in how bad they are when they come off and how long the new ones last.

·
Registered
475 Posts
British roads are atrocious these days but the Vitara isn’t a heavy car so I’m surprised they’ve gone so soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts