Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

If you have the chance to see the youtube videos of the upcoming Renegade Trailhawk, please do.

I am not mentioning this for the jeep itself but I was wondering: what if Suzuki DID NOT leave North America? the introduction of the 2015 renegade would have helped Suzuki sell more GV since globally we are moving towards smaller SUV's... North America is just slower in adopting the trend.

Free publicity Suzuki!!!!! WHY did you leave!!!!.... Maybe a comeback will happen sooner than later when more manufacturers start building them.

Reminds me of an old movie by Costner :):cool:

Please please....

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Indeed, Suzuki missed out on this market two ways. One was by not offering an off-road version of the '06-'14 Grand Vitara, and the other was by not offering the Jimny in North America.

However, there is news today of Fiat/Chrysler considering joining Suzuki, so maybe some interesting things will happen if that goes ahead.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
...news today of Fiat/Chrysler considering joining Suzuki...
Although the Renegade would be a superb replacement for the Jimny, Jeep is already established in many markets in addition to North America. I'm not sure what value Suzuki can add? Perhaps production capacity?

The Jimny is seriously outdated, hardly more than a Samurai with coil springs and a roof. It even still has a separate transfer case with three drive shafts just like a WW-II Jeep. It's also a bit narrow and plus-size driver/passengers sit hard up against the interior panels.
That said, it's such a charming vehicle that I think it will become collectable once out of production.

The Jeep Renegade in Trailhawk trim seems to have the same on-demand system as the Cherokee Trailhawk. Both rely on a super-low first gear in the transmission for a crawl ratio equivalent to that in a T-case low range. Makes perfect sense - the low range in the T-case is just a bandaid for a street-oriented gearbox ratio spread.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Although the Renegade would be a superb replacement for the Jimny, Jeep is already established in many markets in addition to North America. I'm not sure what value Suzuki can add? Perhaps production capacity?

The Jimny is seriously outdated, hardly more than a Samurai with coil springs and a roof. It even still has a separate transfer case with three drive shafts just like a WW-II Jeep. It's also a bit narrow and plus-size driver/passengers sit hard up against the interior panels.
That said, it's such a charming vehicle that I think it will become collectable once out of production.

The Jeep Renegade in Trailhawk trim seems to have the same on-demand system as the Cherokee Trailhawk. Both rely on a super-low first gear in the transmission for a crawl ratio equivalent to that in a T-case low range. Makes perfect sense - the low range in the T-case is just a bandaid for a street-oriented gearbox ratio spread.
I think the point of a Fiat/Chrysler union was more about Chrysler getting access to markets where they don't have a toehold and Suzuki is dominant, like India; and Suzuki getting use of platforms and engines they're too small to design and build for themselves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts