Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Alto with manual gearbox. When accelerating from still while turning left it makes a grinding noise that is also felt through the steering wheel. It's sort of a clunky grinding that is more felt than heard. Its even slightly noticeable when going straight, but more so if I'm turning left, the sharper you turn left the more noticeable it is. It happens mostly when I first start off in 1st gear, if I'm still veering left it can slightly be felt into second gear for a bit as well.
A little Googling suggested possible wheel bearings, but I thought a bad bearing would be louder at higher speeds. Any thoughts appreciated!

TIA mjed0

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
12,724 Posts
Check the wheel bearings, you have a dud..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks aquanut20,
I just put the front of the car on a jack and pulled both front wheels from side to side and there was no clunking or play that I could see. I also gave them a good spin both ways and couldn't hear anything concerning, both spun smoothly with minimal noise.

This was just a test I googled, so I'm not sure that rules out a wheel bearing problem or not.

Thanks again, mjed0

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Or a bad cv joint, full lock left, accelerate, does it make clicking sounds? I'm still thinking wheel bearing tho.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2013GV,
Thanks for the idea. I took the car out and tried accelerating from a stop with full lock left. No clicking sounds though, but I could still hear and feel the clunky grinding coming from the front wheels area. Out of interest, I also tried the same with a full right lock and there were no clunky, grinding or clicking sounds at all.

I appreciate your suggestion.
mjed0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mairortolani, I put the car on a jack and spun the wheels by hand and there was no noises associated with a bad wheel bearing, however I have not ruled out a bad wheel bearing. I wonder if it's possible for the wheel to spin freely with no noises yet still have a bad wheel bearing?
Thanks,
mjed0

·
Registered
12,476 Posts
Mairortolani, I put the car on a jack and spun the wheels by hand and there was no noises associated with a bad wheel bearing, however I have not ruled out a bad wheel bearing. I wonder if it's possible for the wheel to spin freely with no noises yet still have a bad wheel bearing?
Thanks,
mjed0
Yes is the simple answer. Wheel in the air, no load on the bearing.

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Also might be worth checking the Brake Back Plates/Splash Guards for deformation - ie make sure there are no dents etc which decrease the clearance between Back Plate and Disc.
They can get out of shape by stone strikes etc and if the brake discs are slightly warped (run out) the discs can foul on the Back Plates when using steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone that replied. I took the car in for inspection and the mechanic said it was the left (near side) CV joint. It looks a bit difficult for find CV joints for the Alto. I'm in the UK, does anyone know what would be the best place to source them from?

Thanks again, much appreciated.
mjed0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To update, now the driveshaft (including CV joint) is changed. Unfortunately the grinding/crunching noise is still there, and only at very low speeds while turning left. Not sure what to check now. I have had a look at all tie rod linkages and ball joints for loose rattles, but everything there looks good. Any other suggestions appreciated!

mjed0

·
Registered
2005 1.6 GV 3 dr Auto
50 Posts
Still might be worth checking the Brake Back Plates/Splash Guards for deformation unless you have already done it - ie make sure there are no dents etc which decrease the clearance between Back Plate and Disc.
They can get out of shape by stone strikes etc and if the brake discs are slightly warped (run out) the discs can foul on the Back Plates when turning at slow speed.
Shame the drive shaft didn't fix it but it never did sound like a cv/driveshaft noise.

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
70 Posts
Hi mjed0 you seem to have ruled out a wheel bearing problem and advice has been provided regarding front brake splash guards. It might be worth while to check that the left hand front brake calliper sliders move freely to rule out the possibility that the inner pad is rubbing when the steering flexes during left hand turns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheelwright, Yes after a thorough inspection I have ruled out the wheel bearing. Splash guards also look good as well with no stones or debris caught up in them. The idea of checking the front calipers is a good thought, I'll look into that as well.
Thanks for the advice.
mjed0

·
Registered
Celerio City, 2017
70 Posts
Hi mjed0 lets hope that lubrication of the caliper slide bolts sorts the issue. Have a check on the torque requirement for the slide bolts. I suspect that your Alto has a similar arrangement to the Celerio and if this is the case the tightening torque is 26 Nm. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts