Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Suzuki SX4 crossover with 140K miles on it. The issue I am having is while drive at highway speeds the engine will drop 500 rpm for just a second or two. Drives normal after that it might repeat up to 5 times. This happens with a/c on or off, cruse control on or off. No codes are thrown. Dealer says they can not find anything wrong. I did clean the throttle body that did not fix it.. I have read the forums and will check mass air flow and Crankshaft sensor. It idles great. I am wanting to sell it but need to fix this issue..

Does anyone seem this problem? summary
going highway speeds the engine will "cutout/loose power" randomly for just half second and then run as if nothing every happen..

Thanks in advance

Scott

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
First diagnostic step,

Monitor main power and ground to the ECU,

NEXT,

Monitor fuel rail pressure... or,

you could start guessing and throw parts at it....

.... Philip

·
Registered
12 Posts
Then again, that's another idea.

You mention the high mileage (well high to me as I'm in the UK) and I'm just wondering, might be worth trying a carbon clean on the engine?

·
Registered
8,492 Posts

You mention the high mileage (well high to me as I'm in the UK) and I'm just wondering, might be worth trying a carbon clean on the engine?
That would be the start of the guessing game! It's all yours, I'm out....

.... Philip

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

good luck, quickest way to kill an engine doing that. Engines rely on carbon build up above the top piston ring to seal properly. Removing carbon in an engine with that mileage is asking for an increase in oil consumption and more issues.

My 2c, check the basics, when did it last get plugs? clean the lances/leads, air filter element, MAF clean with a good aerosol MAF cleaner?

Lot of times the basic stuff causes all sorts of issues. Your symptoms could be multiple causes, MAF and CKP and CMP sensors among the long list. Shotgun part changing is not going to help, and will only cost more money. Do the basic checks, maybe a throttle body clean.
Check all the lines and hoses for cracks, its always possible that a vac line has a small split that opens up at a certain vibration or rev range, this will certainly give you these symptoms.
As will a clogged PCV, the EVAP canister cycling etc. you might even find its when a purge solenoid opens and there is a vac leak causing revs to drop. EGR can also cause issues. When was this cleaned last?

see, lots to do that won't cost much money, (hey, whats a set of plugs worth if it hasn't had any in 10k miles)
just a bit of time and good learning for you finding where everything goes. Give it an Xmas prezzie, do some maint on it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a 2013 Suzuki SX4 crossover with 140K miles on it. The issue I am having is while drive at highway speeds the engine will drop 500 rpm for a second or two ...
THis guy did not come back..maybe realising the question was weird......how can the engine speed drop 500 rpm while at highway speed and in gear....if a manual transmisison..impossible....if the CVT, then only with a transmisison shift .
Let this guy come back with real details...like transmision type, vehicle speed before and during the "event", rpm value "A" to value "B".
"cutout/loose power" randomly for just half second though is something else ...loss of an electrical contact?....Is the car using a real key in the socket of is it a keyless ? Details mean something. I have seen ignition switches go weird...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts