Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 2013 sx4. The exhaust smells rich. I would rather have the engine rich then lean. I bought it for $9k US with 32k miles on it. 6 speed manual all wheel drive. Up shifting into 2nd is not smooth but looks like other people have the same problem.

We had 2 days of black ice around here. One day 27 cars were involved in wrecks including 2 roll overs. The following day there was only 8 cars involved in wrecks but there was still one roll over. Bottom line, love the all wheel drive and traction control. I had no issues.

I live about 11 miles from work. Driving to work it was s slightly down hill and of course the reverse on the way home. It is some city driving and some highway driving. The best mileage I can get on a tank of gas is 27.5.
Granted better then my truck, my van, and my 17 year old car. I saw on reviews of the car, lot of people got better then 30 mpg. I guess not sure if they were 2 wheel drive or an automatic

Maybe someone can give me their thoughts on mpg and exhaust smelling rich.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 AWD with the CVT.
I average 25-26 mpgs, with 27 as my best tank so I would say your mileage sounds OK.
All my vehicles typically get a bit worse mileage in the winter than summer, I believe from different fuel blends.
I do not notice any rich smell from the exhaust, so I dont know what that can be.

As far as seeing 30 mpgs, perhaps that is the 2wd versions.
Most things I have seen with the AWD's are in the mid to upper 20's and folks bitching about it.

As far as the 2nd gear up-shift, I tested a 6 speed before buying my CVT.
I experienced the same thing and it kind of swayed me to the CVT even though I like standards.

·
Registered
853 Posts
WElcome to the club, Brian. At that price this is a christmas gift. Glad you picked it up and happy you like it. All you describe is normal from experience and opinion of others. THe rich smell is not unusual for the first minutes because as all cars with ECM control, it waits for getting warm before actual controls applies, and some stay on "default mode" for a bit longer, specially in colder weather. Anyway, the mileage you get is OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Guess I was hoping for better gas mpg. But this is my first car with traction control. Really happy with the way it handles on ice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts