Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New owner here, picked up my new 2013 SLS on Sunday 12/30/12.

Let me start by saying I love this car so far. Been following their development since 2010, but never really could get myself to buy one. I had a 2007 Mazda 3S that was fully loaded too...and low miles. Didn't really need a new car. Let me just say, I got a slammin deal on this car...so I could not turn it down. It was a Demo with 1600 miles on it (driven by the 70 year old owner of the dealership). The car was brand new, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, it is fully loaded with the NAVI unit, but satellite radio was not included. I was told I could add a receiver and I would be all set. I paid the dealer $580 to do this and I am seriously dissapointed. They installed a receiver (through the dealer representative), and now I have to tune to an FM station and use a remote to control the satellite radio. It is very wierd. I cannot use the Bluetooth for the satellite at all. Anyone else have this done on a 2013 (seems like the 2012's were XM capable - and this was not an issue)? They are telling me this is standard proceedure...and this is the only way to do it because Suzuki didn't provide "something" in the head/NAVI unit. I don't understand enough about it to know what is right or wrong. (P.S. they forgot to hook up my antenna too, so I get nothing for AM/FM radio stations at the moment).

Thanks! ~Frank

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sheesh...70 views and nothing. Hasn't anyone purchased a 2013 SLS w/Nav? If so...anyone add Sat Radio? Just curious...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is actually Sirius and yes, the BS black one that comes with the kit. I am not happy with the install...I also found out that if I want to get back to the AM/FM radio, I have to hit a button the remote as well. I thought they forgot to hook up my antenna, but the installer told me nope, you have to hit the "input" button on the remote to switch off the Sirius antenna. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am in the process of gathering information for my xm radio kit install. I can order the color coded antenna for $147 but I'm wondering if that antenna lead wire will plug directly into the optional xm module because I will can't and won't accept that BS black magnetic antenna that comes with it. I can also purchase the optional xm kit for $314. I know $491 is a lot for xm radio so I'm still working out all the details an hope to get it right soon;).

oh yeah pics please of your 2013....please!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you in the US? What year is your Kizzy? If you are in the US...and have a 2012 or prior, I know you can get that XM kit for a lot less...my dealer originally thought the 2013 had the same head unit as the 2012 and told me I could get all the XM parts for about $260. They are able to get all of the Suzuki parts for basically cost. If the XM kit would have worked with my head unit, I would have gone that route...but STUPID Suzuki changed the head unit and I seem to be stuck with what I have. I am still trying to gather more info though...

·
Registered
318 Posts
The 2013 navi radio is not compatible with "built in" sat radio tuners like what are available for the 2012 navi or the non-navi panasonic audio. There is no provision for it. What the dealer did is one solution, the other would be to send the signal through the front aux jack but that would look not so good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any idea why the hell they did that? It is rather annoying!!! And my dealer didn't tell me (because I think they didn't know)...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can't speculate as to why, but another alternative would be to install a 2-din aftermarket head unit like Alpine, Pioneer, etc, since the it would be an exact fit to the dash. This would also resolve the low contrast issue with the touch screen that makes it hard to read during the daytime since all the aftermarket units have much brighter screens. Then, you could also have HD radio, upgrade the amp and speakers to equal or exceed the Rockford Fosgate system that was dropped when the new navi was introduced, etc. That would be the solution I would follow, if it were my car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can you provide links to where I could get the parts you are suggesting?

I asked my local dealer (not the dealer I purchased from), what it would take to get the 2012 head unit in my car and they told me somewhere in the neighborhood of $780 for the head unit + $230 for the XM kit/install. Over $1k...to replace this stereo... :(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Either the Pioneer X-940BT or Alpine INE-S920HD are good choices as replacements IMHO. I like the Alpine better however it is more expensive than the Pioneer which is selling in the low $500's now. To this, you will need an adapter harness for the radio to avoid cutting into your existing wires ($10-20), and an interface to allow the steering wheel controls to function as they do now ($50-80). There are several brands out there to do this, personally I like the iDatalink model. I am not sure if any of these adapters will allow the steering wheel voice command function to operate - it's possible but I can't say - and if not now it may work later with a firmware update as long as the radio used offers voice functions. This is not a big deal for me; the voice command function of the 2013 Kizashi radio is only marginally effective IMO like most all the others.

Either radio will be a direct bolt in with your existing frame and fascia, and there are many other brands and choices. You can find info on such models all over the web, however Crutchfield is a great site - their prices are not always the best but they have great technical support. which is worth a few $$ sometimes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Won't work with the Garmin navi/audio in your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it would work, but you need an additional piece. I am pretty sure that is what they put in my car, but also added an audiovox receiver that controls the Sirius.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you are correct that would be great. What I can say is that there is no provision for direct sat radio input or control for the 2013 navi, so whatever is used will need to use the antenna or aux port to input the signal. I did not study this device that closely, it liked like a module that would integrate with an otherwise sat-ready head unit which the 2013 radio is not.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For sure that will work, and you can then upgrade everything else to whatever you want.

If you are thinking about aftermarket I would go with the Pioneer or Alpine units however. The Alpine is the best IMO overall, with a great screen and 4V amp pre-outs. However, I just installed the Pioneer AVIC X940BT into my GV and I like it a lot. The Alpine would have been better, but I could not justify the extra $350-400. I'll be posting a write up of the install on the GV subforum in a few days.

The Kenwood in your link is about the same as was used for the pre-2013 Kizashi, however this unit is not perfect and has some bugs. Having lived with the Pioneer for a few days I believe it is better than the Kenwood however this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, I am sure...read my first post. I had the dealer install Sat Radio to my brand new 2013 SLS. I thought I would get a fully integrated Sat Radio, but what I got was a Sat Radio that works, through the FM antenna, and I have to use a remote control. If I want to use my AM/FM radio, I have to switch off the Sat channel...the whole thing pisses me off. But I paid for it and I am pretty much stuck with it. No one told me when I bought the car the 2013 was any different than the 2012. I would have pushed for a 2012 had I known.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts