Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just had one of those sit down moments when quoted my 105000km service cost.($1500 AUD).
After enquiring about cost quoted, was told they need to replace fuel filter, fuel pump and sender unit.
Just fuel pump and sender unit was $800 AUD. Can't find anything in my service booklet about pump and sender needing to be replaced, but it does mention fuel filter. Can anybody confirm if this is the case, or am I being ripped off ?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question, has anyone ever had the pump / filter fail, and how many kms did it occur at ? Thinking of just driving it till it fails.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
Or you could use the services of a good diagnostic tech, have him conduct an amperage scan (commutator) and a flow check, this will advise any upcoming issues rather than firing the parts canon..should take about 30 min...

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
What? The pumps good for the life of the car unless you have been feeding it dirty fuel.youre being ripped off, full agent service in nz is $280 to $320 including oils and oil filter. Plugs and air cleaner, brakes etc are extra. Fuel filters a sock but does involve dropping the tank to change. If its had clean fuel and never shown signs of fuel issues, leave well alone.
Got a 2,4 at work at 300,000 kms and it just gets oil, filters and the occasional set of plugs and brakes. Still going, still on original fuel pump and coils.

I say again, you're being ripped off, go find a decent mechanic, I hope hes not an authorized agent, try that here and Suzuki nz would rip his nuts off

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2013GV, it is a long standing Suzuki dealer ! They say they can't just replace filter as it is incorporated in the pump / fuel gauge assembly.
I have decided for now just having everything else done in the service without changing pump/filter. Now only $695 AUD. Still a bit steep, but more affordable. Will consider doing a filter change at a later date when my super regains some of what I lost lately.
Thanks for replying.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or you could use the services of a good diagnostic tech, have him conduct an amperage scan (commutator) and a flow check, this will advise any upcoming issues rather than firing the parts canon..should take about 30 min...
Will look in to that aquanaut20. Auto Electrician ?

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
2013GV, it is a long standing Suzuki dealer ! They say they can't just replace filter as it is incorporated in the pump / fuel gauge assembly.
I have decided for now just having everything else done in the service without changing pump/filter. Now only $695 AUD. Still a bit steep, but more affordable. Will consider doing a filter change at a later date when my super regains some of what I lost lately.
Thanks for replying.
Even that price is steep, I'd expect all fluids (including brake fluid) to be changed along with coolant etc and new serpentine belt and plugs. 100,000 km is a major, but not super major.
Dont worry about the pump, it will run for years. The filter is removable but suzuki dont sell it as a genuine article separately. If mine ever needs doing I'm going to cut in a generic one in the line external to the tank and just remove the in tank one. Only ever had one injected car clog the in tank filter and that was due to contaminated wet and dirty fuel

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2013GV … Dont worry about the pump, it will run for years. The filter is removable but suzuki dont sell it as a genuine article separately. If mine ever needs doing I'm going to cut in a generic one in the line external to the tank and just remove the in tank one. Only ever had one injected car clog the in tank filter and that was due to contaminated wet and dirty fuel
[/QUOTE]
My only concern with an external in line filter would be the risk of pump ingesting dirt etc and failing, after removal of the genuine filter.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
You usually wash the genuine one, the pumps have an additional small screen on the inlet to catch anything that could damage the pump. If the fuel is that dirty that the filter gets blocked then you have bigger issues. When you do ever have to change the filter, you wash the tank out and take more care in the fuel source you use

I have only had one filter clog on a customer car, and that had severely contaminated fuel, water and god knows what else in the tank.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
In preparation to refitting my bashplates I decided to do whatever I had to so that the plates could stay in place for the next five years. I had all fluids drained and refilled (power steer, brake, diffs and transfer box), new pads fitted (I bought those myself). I had swapped plugs earlier myself (used ruthenium plugs so good for 100,000km). Including the pads and fluids the bill was about $450. Engine oil had been done earlier. I think your Suzuki dealer must be providing a "premium" service.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Suzuki is the last place I would get a service done. The prices are almost euro level. Only made that mistake once and copped a bill over 700 for a minor service. After a heated argument they reduced it but it left a bad taste. All other subsequent services since have been in the 300-400 range at independents.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Suzuki is the last place I would get a service done. The prices are almost euro level. Only made that mistake once and copped a bill over 700 for a minor service. After a heated argument they reduced it but it left a bad taste. All other subsequent services since have been in the 300-400 range at independents.
Sounds like the Aussie ones are not like ours. Premium service for a GV here is around the $300 mark at the dealer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
when I bought mkine it came with "fixed p;rice servicing" but when I read the fine print it turned out this could be modified at the dealers discretion. Since warranty expired have either done it myself or had it done by the bloke who swapped my engine.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, will be looking in to that also. (independent)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was told by a mechanic very familiar with Suzuki many years ago that because the cars are not expensive and pretty reliable, opportunity to make money is through inflated service and parts costs.

Sort of makes sense, mine is a 2006 model. Been flogged all over central QLD dirt roads and has done its fair share of beach work. In the 12 years I have had it its only cost me a transfer case gasket and gearbox mount outside routine servicing and consumables. The rear subframe bushes are starting to go as I get a pretty bad clunk when traversing driveways on an angle but that is a pretty good run.

The first lift kit I put in it flogged out the lower control arms and strut top bearings, now have an OME kit in it and its been perfect. Other than that which was suspension related its been solid.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts