Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time this light came on, dealer scanned it, said replace gas cap. Did that solved problem….for a time. New time tighten gas cap,,,,,fixed it for time. Have changed gas caps three times…any ideas. please???

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,239 Posts
Yes, scan the ECU and let us know which EVAP code you have.. This is known as diagnostics..as opposed to the dealer guessing..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I changed gas caps again, and the light went off. My dealer has read the codes and it told him there was a leak in the gas vent system, so changed the cap..seemed to work.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
This is the issue I am having, when the gas cap is replaced, the dealer uses a scan tool to extinguish the CEL, this does not mean there is a fix. The ECU has monitors and these will be reset, it then takes some time for the ECU to run the diagnostics (may take weeks), giving a false sense that the issue is repaired, then amazingly the light comes back on, Hmm! you have replaced several caps... does this sound suspicious ??

The vehicle needs proper diagnostics which involves a smoke test and bi-directional agitation of the components in the EVAP system...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mm, I didn’t know that aqua,,,,something I need to follow up on, thank you,,,,weeks, you say??/

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
The EVAP monitor is one of the most difficult to complete as specific conditions must be met, also other monitors must be set to ready before the ECU will attempt to run the EVAP cycles..

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
My caution about the services of mechanics is because many rely on scan tools supplying codes in order to repair issues..

Codes are just indicators of a direction not to a solution.. I have a nephew who is rated as a Master Tech in a dealership, he follows this route and has not even studied the use of advanced system diagnostics,, It is more expedient to throw a part and hope a fix on the first toss,,, He has several times called me when this system has not worked on his personal vehicle.. sigh!

·
Registered
22 Posts
From experience.......if your having engine check light problems it's advisable to have it scanned by a proper suzuki dealer, or use a scanner that's purpose made for Suzuki's.
Generic scanners give generic results.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
All scanners will deliver the same code for a particular issue, it is the interpretation of that code that becomes an issue..

All OBDII scanner are mandated to report codes (emissions) as mandated by law... the OEM codes (non emission) are sometimes specific to the manufacturer and an advanced scanner ( not necessarily a manufacturer/dealer) is required.

·
Registered
22 Posts
@aquanaut20....the "interpretation" part seems correct as my non Suzuki dealer had my car for 3 weeks and could not correct the fault error code. I looked at their scanner and it seemed pretty sophisticated.
As it was still under warranty i took the car to a Suzuki dealer and they corrected the problem in one day (fuel injector seal broken) and replaced all 4 injector seals.
I don't know if it's humbug or not but the Suzuki dealer also advised me NOT to buy a generic scanner.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I use several pro series scanners, Launch X431 Pro mini, Autel MK8088,, Think tool Pro, all Bi-directional working well and I have used them to diagnose vehicles that the dealer techs gave up on (with their dealer scanners).. I also have several scopes, 2,4 and 8 channel to assist with the digital circuits..

At the bottom of my tool chest I have a good number of code readers and scanners for those OLD OBD1 beauties..

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
I have a $12 ELM based code reader in the toolbox, its amazing just what a simple reader like that can do, at times all I need to get is a code to start diagnosis or look at some real time data on the tablet while under the hood wiggling things (shush Philip, I know you're thinking of something rude to say), in most cases its a simple pointer to where to start.

I get the big guns out when needed, and usually only grab the dealer tool when I need its particular security access to code modules.

Philip what's your thoughts on the mk808 ? I'm considering getting one to replace my old snap on unit thats dying

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I find the Launch and Thinktool more capable than the Autel, but as you know they all have their shining attributes.. I gave my SnapOn along with it keys to a young budding mechanic...who saw merit in working towards being a diagnostician..

Dont get me wrong I still have and use a small Elm 327 dongle and tablet, or Autel 519 for those quicky checks..

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wonder if anyone on this forum in the Toronto/Mississauga are has a recommendation for a Suzuki mechanic. I have a P0327 code (knock sensor) that is 'permanent' and which I can't erase with either of my 2 code readers/scanners. I need someone who has had this before and might know how to correct it. Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wonder if anyone on this forum in the Toronto/Mississauga are has a recommendation for a Suzuki mechanic. I have a P0327 code (knock sensor) that is 'permanent' and which I can't erase with either of my 2 code readers/scanners. I need someone who has had this before and might know how to correct it. Thanks!
Vehicle is a 2012 Grand Vitara 4 cylinder.

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
Has the problem been repaired? In most cases when a code cannot be "erased", it's not that it can't be cleared, but that it is being "re-detected" every time it is cleared.
Has the sensor been tested/replaced? Has the wiring been checked?

·
Registered
354 Posts
It has not been repaired because it is inaccessible. Usually the 're-detection' takes a few drive cycles to occur but not this time. It appears within a few seconds of starting the engine and reappears on the code readers even after being erased. I need to find someone who has experienced this same issue and has resolved it. Surely this can't be a 'first time ever' event. o_O

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Codes are not the be all, end all... they are an indicator of an error in the reported data to the ECU.. It will not fix itself, nor will your issue be fixed by polling other owners..

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Your issue has been covered on several threads, it requires specific testing, not guesses...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts