Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious as to how much fuel one has left once that fuel level light goes on with the ping sound. In other words, roughly how much further can one drive after it comes on?

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
Each one is different, depending on float adjustment.. and attitude of vehicle when it get close to empty..

Carry a spare fuel tank, run the fuel out, you now have a good measure..

BTW: not good to run fuel low, pump is cooled by the fluid, too low and pump heats up, compromising life..

... Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Each one is different, depending on float adjustment.. and attitude of vehicle when it get close to empty..

Carry a spare fuel tank, run the fuel out, you now have a good measure..

BTW: not good to run fuel low, pump is cooled by the fluid, too low and pump heats up, compromising life..

... Philip
Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know about carrying an extra fuel tank. That doesn't seem doable as far as I can tell. However, the information you gave on the fuel pump makes sense. So, I guess I'll just play it safe and try to refill the tank asap after that light comes on (with its bing).

I also seem to remember reading something about it not being good to run to empty with any car in that the impurities that build up within the gas itself over the years might foul the pump if they're drawn into it when the tank goes to empty. Is this a good rule of thumb?

-

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

I don't know about carrying an extra fuel tank. That doesn't seem doable as far as I can tell. However, the information you gave on the fuel pump makes sense. So, I guess I'll just play it safe and try to refill the tank asap after that light comes on (with its bing).

I also seem to remember reading something about it not being good to run to empty with any car in that the impurities that build up within the gas itself over the years might foul the pump if they're drawn into it when the tank goes to empty. Is this a good rule of thumb?

-
fill before light comes on, most cars have about 4 litres left. Varies by model of course.

never a good idea to run that low as the impurites and crud do shorten pump life. So, yes, it is a very good rule of thumb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fill before light comes on, most cars have about 4 litres left. Varies by model of course.

never a good idea to run that low as the impurites and crud do shorten pump life. So, yes, it is a very good rule of thumb
Great! Thanks for that additional feedback.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Great! Thanks for that additional feedback.
if you ever do run it till it stops, realise that you have just taken about 20% of the fuel pump life away due to overheating as the fuel is coolant and lubricant for the pump motor and bearings. About 4 run-drys and most pumps will fail sometime in the next 12 months from my experience

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Good to know.

It's rare that I get that low, but it has happened. So, I'm going to be extra vigilant from now on for the reasons given above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts