Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for having me. First post here.

We have a 2011 SX4 Crossover AWD 6speed manual. The alternator went out, and we have a new one to swap in. We've done research for tricks of the trade, but most information is for the 1st gen models, which is a bit different.

We were able to get every bolt out without disconnecting or moving anything but the wheel & belt. (My husband and I are a great match, he has strength, I have small hands.) We also have access to a lift now, which is great!

The alternator is now fully disconnected, floating under the engine, but stuck behind the axle and gas pan.

It seems the only way out is to either:
-Disconnect everything from above (which looks like a huge headache).
-Fully disassemble the wheel to lower the axle.
-To remove engine-mount bolts and lift engine.

We might be able to get it out if we take the alternator-pully off. But if that works we'll have to do that to the new one as well and then reassemble in place. We're thinking about doing this anyways as our new (used) alternator has a small dent on the lip of the pully so we're thinking about swapping the old one in.

So I guess I have 2 questions:

Is taking apart an alternator-pully a big deal?

Is there anyone out there who's removed an alternator from a 2010+ SX4? What path did you use to get it out/in??

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Is taking apart an alternator-pully a big deal?
yes, that centre nut is damned tight and usually needs an impact gun

Is there anyone out there who's removed an alternator from a 2010+ SX4? What path did you use to get it out/in??
Last one i did, I got it out, but ended up taking a ton of stuff off, Probably easier to let the suspension go and get a wheel alignment later.

they are in the stupidest place you could ever have one to service it, I don't have a manual but I bet it says "refer to engine removal in section 3" or something similar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your quick reply. We agree this is in a pretty dumb place. We're leaning towards doing what you suggest and making room in the wheel-well. I'll come back to the tread with an update on how it goes.

cheers buddys

·
Registered
838 Posts
THis topic has been covered extensively on this or another SX4 forum. Use the search tool.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
service manual says remove the air cleaner assembly, remove the throttle body assembly, remove intake manifold, sounds like a lot I know, you may search the previous threads as suggested to see if there is another way, hope this helps and all the best to your SX4, I have a 2011 with the 6spd manual as well, low kms so never had to do an alt yet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts