Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Ok so I've been driving since August, I'm a new ish driver and whilst I know some basics of cars and their maintenance, I thought I would ask for more experiences from SX-4 owners who know what they are talking about. Plus I don't feel as stupid as asking my friend's on facebook....

So, I own a 2010 SX4 SZ-L trim model. It's a 1.6L petrol, Naturally Aspirated engine and the car has done just over 31K miles since new.

I'll Number the questions/points I want to raise so you guys can quote a bit easier etc.

1) My car is a 1.6L engine, I assume from 2010 as that was the year it was registered. with that in mind, I take it it's around 120hp? on paper?

2) I'm the third owner on this vehicle, and I believe it still has the original clutch, timing belt/chain (is it a chain?), and all that stuff. At what mileage do these things typically need to be replaced on an SX-4?

3) is there anything I can do maintenance wise, other than sending it to a garage each year, to keep this car in top condition?

4) the stupid part. Mods. What mods could I do that are affordable but just provide a little extra performance? Main thing is the car is gutsy, but the true power of the engine is only really utilised from mid range and higher in the revs.

5) exhausts.... Now, I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon. would I benefit from having a stainless steel exhaust system fitted to the car? there two roads I can go with this. Either a completely custom design, or I can have a stainless sytem made to OEM specs, either way it'll last the life of the car. Second to this, would either setup have an impact on the performance?

bear in mind I'm in the uk, and it does seem that most of the SX4 supplies and stuff like that are more US based. So this might have a bearing on any responses you guys have for me.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Question 2: it is a chain drive (one chain) . Normally this is good for the life of the engine...specially for you with such a low mileage. THe 2.0 engine in some parts of the world eventually has problems with the tensioner of the chain...but this forum has not heard of the same for the 1.6. And IMO, a clutch is good until it starts to slip.....there have been several threads about clutch on this an other SX4 forums. Several UK members will surely come forward....by the way...what is special about the "SZ-L"....unknown here...
EDIT:: ahhh.ok...seen here
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/suzuki-releases-sx4-sz-l-special-edition-24419.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for the reply.

So I should be solid on the chain for many more miles, that's good.

that's another thing I forgot to mention, when it's like really cold (in the UK we are talking sub +5 Celsius, the car sometimes has a belt squealing noise when taking off. Now admittedly, I don't always let the car warm up, it's just turn on and go, so when it's warm it doesn't do it, but when i apply throttle when the car has just turned on or not been on that long there's a squealing noise. like a belt? I'd assume that's the fanbelt or accessory belt?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
hey, thanks for the reply.

So I should be solid on the chain for many more miles, that's good.

that's another thing I forgot to mention, when it's like really cold (in the UK we are talking sub +5 Celsius, the car sometimes has a belt squealing noise when taking off. Now admittedly, I don't always let the car warm up, it's just turn on and go, so when it's warm it doesn't do it, but when i apply throttle when the car has just turned on or not been on that long there's a squealing noise. like a belt? I'd assume that's the fanbelt or accessory belt?
yep, sounds like the belts stiffening up in the cold and squealing. You can either tension it up a bit more, or see if theres some local "anti squeal" spray available. It just makes the belt a bit grippier in cold conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might get the belt tightened up. To be honest, it could be the case that the tensioner has never been adjusted throughout the cars life.

·
Registered
838 Posts

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
when was the belt replaced last? might be time for a new one.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
well, 9 years old, its gonna be starting to get hard, crusty and cracked, time for a change I think, cheap insurance as well, last thing you need is a belt letting go on a cold day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts