Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Suzuki Fans
Now that I have my snow tires off I can hear some (left?) front wheel bearing noise coming on so I need to get informed and prepared. I have changed front wheel bearings in other FWD cars and I have a press. Before I dig in are there any tricky Suzuki-specific things I should be aware of? I would appreciate any tips.

Will I need to get the parts from a (former) Suzuki dealer or will a regular jobber get me the same thing?

Where can I find a manual? If I could at least see the parts diagram that might tell me something useful. I once saw a manual online but it was terrible.

I have already had to replace one of the SX4 rear wheel bearings and this was much easier than on a Honda Civic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That photo really helps. I can see the sensor needs to come out before installing the bearing. I'm guessing that in order for the sensor to work the seal, or something just under it, must be rotating. Magnetic?
APM tells me they have the bearing in stock for $121 Cdn. I guess I need to make sure it has the proper ABS thing on it. Are there Suzukis that don't have ABS and use the same bearing?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I'm guessing that in order for the sensor to work the seal, or something just under it, must be rotating. Magnetic?
Yes.
I only see one bearing listed and 1 type of front knuckle with a hole for the sensor. I assume they all have ABS. Think you can leave the sensor in place whilst changing the bearing, but if it comes out without a fight I would remove it so as less likely to damage it whilst swapping the bearing.

Tech Tip: Generation 1 Wheel Bearings With Integrated ABS Tone Ring

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes.
I only see one bearing listed and 1 type of front knuckle with a hole for the sensor. I assume they all have ABS. Think you can leave the sensor in place whilst changing the bearing, but if it comes out without a fight I would remove it so as less likely to damage it whilst swapping the bearing.

Tech Tip: Generation 1 Wheel Bearings With Integrated ABS Tone Ring
Thanks very much. That is very helpful. The link about the ABS bearings was useful, too.

In the photo above it certainly looks like the ABS sensor sticks out over the bearing which makes it look prone to damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I planned to remove the sensor if at all possible/
I have a shop press. Got it for doing Honda front wheel bearings in the past.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check hub closely if ordered with bearing

When I ordered my bearing and hub from Ebay the third party screwed me. They sent me a hub with studs that were too long and too wide did not install right away so by the time I realized the studs were the wrong size it was to late to get a refund. I also didn't realize they were the wrong studs until I had already pressed the bearing and installed the hub. grrrr. Lesson learned check studs with a nut from one of your existing wheels to make sure it is the right one. :mad: I had to buy new studs which are bigger and longer than the other three wheels. it works but looks odd.

·
Registered
853 Posts
,,ordered my bearing and hub from Ebay..
Is is possible to know the manufacturer of this hub ...and precise model of your SX4 (hatch, sedan, AWD/2WD, tire size )

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you haven't bought the bearing yet, shoot me a PM
I'm sure I have a few new suzuki bearings left over from the dealership days..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts