Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I've read several of the posts on 'trying' to remove and replace the SX4 alternator, is there any home mechanic that actually did it?
If so, what is the method to that madness? My SX4 is in a remote location very far from any garage, but I have a new alternator and lots of tools, jack stands and even a few willing helpers, but we reached an impasse and wonder if we have to remove the engine to change the alternator?!? It seems impossible!
Thanks in advance for any advice that might help get my car back on the road!
Jimbo76

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Can I assume yours is the 2L petrol (in the UK we have a few engines to choose from). If so the 2006 print workshop manual says the intake manifold has to come off :mad:. This however will be the J20A engine and yours may well be the J20B so may differ. Hopefully somebody will give more/better info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Darrell, you would be correct, I am in Canada with a non-diesel SX4... we were looking at the intake manifold... it seems a lot has to come off to get access... thanks so much for your prompt reply! We will keep at it!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Jinbo, please fill in your profile, (location, type of SX4..sedan or hatch. ) so whenever you come back we don't have to ask. YOu have a J20B, like all of us in Canada/USA. THe manual we have is for the J20A so probably irrelevant...but just in case, see this
www.avigex.ca/sx4/alt.pdf
Problem is , even if the J20B configuration was same as J20A, we have an hydraulic power steering here , hence a P/S pump on the belt travel, not shown on this document, while they have an electric power steering in Japan and some other countries.

Ther was this thread also, but with a J20A. See if it can bring something....
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sx4-forum/172361-alternator-removal.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Still new. Will update profile soon to get it completed. Wanted to update anyoone else on this procedure the best I can. This took approx. 1 1/2 hour figuring out as I go all the little things to remove the alternator. Me and son removed the plastic engine cover first. Then the actual air intake tubing and all vacuum lines. Next throttle body was removed. followed by the fuel rail and injectors. All this was very easily accessible from above and not a struggle with anything. Then finally the actual plastic intake. Had a total of 4 bolts holding it in. Will not fit out without the fuel rail off also. For reference. After all this the alternator's two remaining bolts holding it in are easily accessible and the wiring also. Not really a bad job. Hoping this helps someone else out. Not alot of info out there. This was done on a 2010 SX4 crossover. J20 motor and six speed if that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts