Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any experience with this? I looked at etrailer website and there is a wiring diagram which doesn't seem too complicated but it would be nice to have a reassurance from somebody.

I know I need a 7pin round adapter hooked up to the car's 4-pin wiring harness and the brake controller. 4-pin harness looks like a simple install, plenty of videos on it, but I couldn't find a lot of information on installing the brake controller.

I will be towing a 1300lb pop up trailer about 500 miles in a single day and it would be nice to have an extra braking power.

·
Registered
862 Posts
2010 eh! Manual or CVT ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately CVT ...
I was going to keep it at 60 mph... Perhaps with an hour break after 4 hours.

·
Registered
862 Posts
unfortunately CVT ...I was going to keep it at 60 mph...
Yeah...you see what I meant....towing 1500 lb at 60mph, ithe CVT will probably set somewhere between 4th and 5th manual positions. I would arrange by shifting to manual (when at 60 steady on level road) when rpm passes at 3000 (which is probably near the condition where driver and driven pulleys have same size), otherwise in AUTO mode large rpm variations (just annoying) will occur as this engine/transmission combinaison is rpm oriented rather than torque. But anyway, this CVT is really not as sturdy as the standard 2009 AUTO ..and a pity against the manual. It is torque limited (by limiting fuel supply) in low, reverse and 6th. I would myself keep it below 60mph in such conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm aware of this and thank you for the advise. I'm sure it will be useful during my trip.

Called U-haul today and after a lot of back and forth they said they would wire everything up, including wiring harness, 7 pin round adapter, brake controller, labor and taxes for tiny sum of $400.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the trip was a success.
In total it was a little over 1000 miles.
Average around 22 mpg while driving mainly in the rage of 55 - 65 mph and occasionally going 75.

one thing the car definitely needs is stiffer rear suspension. when dropping the trailer on the hitch attachment the car dropped what I would guess to be 4-5 inches.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Glad it turned out that way. And 22miles /USgallon with the trailer is quite good....was that from the computer or actually measured from mileage and fuel fill up ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts