Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 suzuki sx4 It have a j20b motor. I am replacing the accessory belt. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the second bolt off the tensioner?????? The one further up an towards the front. I have tried everything I know of do I really need to remove what looks like a water pump to gain access???? Can anyone point me in the direction of removing the belt tensioner?????

I've tried every possible 12mm combo including wrench is it actually a hex?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
According to the manual the adjustment is done entirely at the idler hub, it doesn't appear you need to remove it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the manual the adjustment is done entirely at the idler hub, it doesn't appear you need to remove it.
The car has 150k miles belt broke due to what looks like a bad oil job the filter was not tight and loosing small amounts of oil this leaked onto belt. So I'm going to replace the tensioner. If I can get this bolt
Off.

Eye Automotive tire Wheel Wood Rim

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
As best as I can see these are the bolts. Not sure if it will clear the water pump pulley though.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As best as I can see these are the bolts. Not sure if it will clear the water pump pulley though.

View attachment 102660
Yep that is what I'm having a issue with. I cant seem to get that out its hitting the water pump pully. I thought maybe it was possible a hex the picture is blurry enough that it looks like it. I'm going by the guys house Wednesday to look at it an put a ladder rack on his van. So I'm going to hold my phone down there and take a few pictures and figure this out or it's simply not getting a new tensioner. That the owner wants put on. But I think he will understand it's either a waterpump too or it's just a new belt and that's it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I don't own an SX4 (but my sister does) and was just passing by this forum, but from my POV I can't see the need for a new tensioner unless there is a known fault. Judging by your photo, surely there are bigger problems to fix? If the pulley turns freely I'd just leave it.

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
The car has 150k miles belt broke due to what looks like a bad oil job the filter was not tight and loosing small amounts of oil this leaked onto belt. So I'm going to replace the tensioner. If I can get this bolt
Off.

View attachment 102643
Here's what is puzzling me - why are you trying to get this bolt off? What does it have to do with the tensioner?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't own an SX4 (but my sister does) and was just passing by this forum, but from my POV I can't see the need for a new tensioner unless there is a known fault. Judging by your photo, surely there are bigger problems to fix? If the pulley turns freely I'd just leave it.
I'd like too, being paid to replace it. I just did his chevy express van water pump plugs fluids a 180k tune up and his window motor. Everything that failed the inspection plus a tune up. An near the end of that the belt broke on his car so he asked if we could do a tune up on that an wellllllllp everything is now done except tensioner. So thought somebody out here would know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now my eyes are pretty good the top bolt does it look like a hex in that picture. Because I havent tried so little room. I have I believe a 10mm hex might be my key

1 - 11 of 11 Posts