Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the transmission control system in 2009 cause i got 2codes pop up engine light on tranny not shifting it was control system and shift solenoid a stuck on

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Where is the transmission control system in 2009 cause i got 2codes pop up engine light on tranny not shifting it was control system and shift solenoid a stuck on
Just asking where the control system is isn't going to help you as the transmission control system is the entire transmission, wiring loom and TCM computer. It also ties into the engine ECU and associated systems.

As always, you need to diagnose it properly, what codes did you get? what model trans (how many speeds), engine type and capacity?

Clear the codes and see what comes back to prove whats actually happening and whether any were pre-existing or all are new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just asking where the control system is isn't going to help you as the transmission control system is the entire transmission, wiring loom and TCM computer. It also ties into the engine ECU and associated systems.

As always, you need to diagnose it properly, what codes did you get? what model trans (how many speeds), engine type and capacity?

Clear the codes and see what comes back to prove whats actually happening and whether any were pre-existing or all are new.
What make? model? Cost? Where purchased? What systems on 2007 2008 Suzuki xl7 does it scan for besides the transmission? Engine? brake system? Other? I want to get an inexpensive scan tool around $150.00 . I saw on Scotty Kilmer You Tube he recommends a few models but he didn't specify what makes models best used for and what systems each covers. I will have to go on Amazon and see what specs are listed maybe put question on that Amazon page to see if manufacturer will reply or go to the manufacturer's web site and ask or call see if I get reply? So much involved with computer systems even Suzuki 2008 xl7. Thanks

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Dont believe everything Scotty spouts as fact,

Not much of a scan tool for 150.00

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dont believe everything Scotty spouts as fact,

Not much of a scan tool for 150.00
  1. Thanks. I haven't bought anything Scotty has suggested
  2. yet. He sure has a lot of preventive suggestions to keep you safe and keep your credit card low! Avoid loan to pay for repair that could be avoided with routine preventive maintenance. I guess a large percentage of repairs could have been minimized with preventive measures? Like seeing a good doctor on a regular basis?
  3. Thanks again Aquanaut20.
  4. Beam me up Scotty!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I concur, a lot of what Scotty says is not right.

Whats worse, the early Suzukis (and some even now) use a propriety code that only the more expensive code readers will read. Try more like $1500.00 rather than $150.00 for a decent scan tool.
There are others about that are cheaper. All depends on what you want to be able to do. Transmission codes are one of the annoying ones to get out of the cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks 2013GV and Aquanaut20.
I wonder if any of the parts store chains use more expensive scan tool you mentioned to help you find problem and sell you the parts? I will ask around.
I didn't say Scotty wasn't right. I am obviously not a mechanic but he sounds reasonable. He covers almost everything in general. Quick look at some specific issues. He explains how a lot of things work for someone like me in "shorthand".
Thanks

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
want someone that explains stuff properly, go check south main auto's channel on the u tube thingy. And he uses scantools and shows all his diagnostic steps.

and in answer to your main question, yeah, parts sellers usually have semi decent scanners, but want to sell parts. As long as you understand that codes are a diagnostic tool, not a solution then you're off to a good start. Use the code to aid in diagnosis, not an instant solution.
Many codes are traceable to faults other than the sensor they are associated with. Context is the key.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts