Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my SX4 5 speed manual last week. I bought it with shifting problems. It ended up being the shifting linkage that raises and lowers the shifting tower was frozen up. A little heat and I was able to remove the linkage. Cleaned out the hole and linkage, got new bushings and put back together. Everything moves fine and shifts freely in and out of all gears. Started the engine and car will not move in any gear including reverse. Hydraulic clutch feels like it is working ok and I can see movement in hydraulic hose when clutch is being pumped. Absolutely no grinding of gears or noise coming from the transmission. Car is able to be rolled as if in neutral.
Brian

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
:00000732:
to the forum.

Does it make any noise - bell housing area?

I had a 62 Nova with the clutch going out.
It was stolen & cops found it abandoned after the clutch went out completely.
No contact between the flywheel and pressure plate = no go.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the engine running, it is quiet. Car was sitting for about 2 years. Previous owner had tried some repairs, but never noticed the linkage being frozen. He even had purchased a brand new shifter to put in, but never installed it. I think the linkage was frozen in either the middle or upper position. The old shifter was already out when I purchased the car. There may be a possibility that with the tower up, it may have had only been able to shift between 3 & 4 or 5 & reverse. Trying to move the car in high gear they may have burned the clutch totally up, but I have never seen a clutch so far warn, that there is no contact and or movement with the pressure plate. guess it is possible. Is there a view "port" to observe the clutch on Suzuki's, or do I have to remove the transmission to check the clutch theory out??

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't know anything about transmissions
I'm very interested
Please keep updating as you progress towards your fix
Thank you.

·
Registered
820 Posts
..... Everything moves fine and shifts freely in and out of all gears....
Seems too freely for me...like it does not shift at all...If there is no rotation of the transmisison from the engine running (shifting with engine off)..there should be some rsistance..even some gears would not want to engage without the syncros acting. Not convinced yet that problem comes from the clutch...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I shift thru the gears, I can definitely feel a positive engagement of the transmission and when I get to reverse, I have to go back to 1st or another gear before it will then slide into reverse. I think that is causing the rotation of the transmission you are referring to. Today with car in 1st and engine off, I was able to roll the car as if it was in neutral. I moved the car to a clear space, it was in some deep grass as I have a farm, so I have not been able to see anything from underneath the car. Hopefully in the next day or two I will get it up on ramps to check the underside of the transmission to see if there are any dust cover / view ports ???? to see the clutch and flywheel. I would hate to pull the transmission if I do not have to. I have seen clutches freeze on after sitting for a couple years, but not get stuck open.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Being in the grass and still on the ground makes it rough.

The main shaft on my brand new work truck snapped right in the middle
Ford F550.
It happened driving up a two lane mountain road, right after a hairpin curve.
Would only roll backwards.

You don't suppose they left the clutch out do ya?

Best of luck.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They never had the transmission out, but that is literally what it is acting like. Even a fully burned up clutch would still have some movement of the transmission with the engine running. The clutch still has metal at it's core. I would expect the pressure plate to still reach the core metal and turn the transmission. With engine running, I can shift without the clutch and there is absolutely no chatter, let alone grinding of gears.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you can (while the car is moving even a little) shift through the reverse gear without the clutch and there is no grinding noise
Then it has to mean there is no power being transmitted to the transmission
The gears in the tranny aren't turning.

So the fingers on the pressure plate doesn't meet the clutch plate?
Or maybe the hub on the pressure plate snapped off and freely spinning?
Or the throw out bearing is stuck??
But, in any case, it has to be in the clutch system of the manual transmission

Cause if the input shaft of the transmission is turning then there would be grinding in reverse since there is no syncro for reverse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I kind of figure it has to be something to do with clutch, throw out bearing or or the pressure plate. I am hoping there is some type of view port to see the clutch.... I have not been under the car yet to see.

·
Registered
820 Posts
... something to do with clutch, throw out bearing ....
Yes..indeed...like the clutch is frozen open...because of the time it has been inoperative, corrosion can have developped so that the clutch pedal has been able to push the clutch open but it stayed there due to corrosion grit....yeah, a definite possibility. COuld it be dislodged by some means ? I hope so...I'l check the shop manual ...
www.avigex.ca/sx4/clutch.pdf
nothing said about access....

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
I kind of figure it has to be something to do with clutch, throw out bearing or or the pressure plate. I am hoping there is some type of view port to see the clutch.... I have not been under the car yet to see.
Don't think there is anything to see underneath, but you may be able to see through the bung on the top. Not sure if your get to see through any spaces on the pressure plate though. Best of luck.

I'm assuming it's the 2.0L engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Puzzle solved. There is a rubber plug located just above the throw-out bearing line going into the bell housing which is used for a timing spot on the fly wheel. In the picture above it is the black spot between the yellow marker numbers and the white paper tag. Plug even says "Timing" on it. With the plug out I am able to see the edge of the clutch and with my finer was able to fish out a rats nest of shredded clutch and even able to rotate the clutch between the pressure plate and the fly wheel. Sooo...... we now know the clutch was just burnt and shredded up trying to move the car in a upper gear. I paid just $500 for this car, so the $12 in bushings, a little labor to clean up the linkage, and now a clutch r&r ( hopefully the fly wheel is not destroyed, maybe I will be lucky and the clutch worked as a grinding stone and resurfaced the flywheel at it's own lost. LOL ). I contacted my local NAPA to check on a clutch kit, $440. Checked Ebay, and they run from a drag clutch at about $1000 down to $150 for a full kit. I think I will be going with a Bahnhof stage 2 clutch kit at about $200 shipped. Not planning on racing and I have always been easy on clutches. So we now know that a probable stock clutch can wear to the extent that it appears non existent.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Glad you found out. Clutch kit ar Rockauto start at 220 plus shipping...so you probably have a good deal.
Take some pictures of the operation and post them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't too much about transmissions.
But, I think one has to practically take the transmission of before one can see where the problem is in the transmission.
Hope someone else knows better?
video

·
Registered
820 Posts
... where the problem is in the transmission....
INteresting...Obviously a cut made with a buffer....and all we see is the clutch...maybe one can improvise a cover after that...this possibly coming from a school for training purposes. Impossible to do that on a transmission...and keeping it operational. .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts