Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a bad belt squeaking around 20,000-30,000 miles. I recall the serpentine belt and tensioner were replaced.

I'm having it again, probably starting at around 55,000 miles and it's at 68,000. What seems to be different this time is that the noise goes away after driving for a bit and doesn't always happen (usually only in the morning on first start).

Not sure if this is related but occasionally the car will take a while to start (original battery, but I recall this happened about twice yearly even when 3 years old).

I used to get higher gas mileage - stays around 26-27 now.

·
Registered
858 Posts
OK..not knowing where you live, engine type (1600, 2000, fuel, diesel?...),2wd, awd ? auto? manual ?...miles, MPG..OK, USA or UK, even Canada.... but gallons not the same...so, suggestions are hypothetical ; add details otherwise replies can be irrelevant..
A/C clutch is also a possibility...does noise change when turning A/C ON and OFF ? OR Auto transmission whine ?(if Auto...??)
Occasional long starting time is a freak incident most , including myself , have experienced....turn key off, wait 10 sec, then start again..presto..."normal problem :lol:"....

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
On any car, with an electric fuel pump and Fuel Injection, it's been long recommended to turn the ignition key to the ON position and then wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to build up sufficient pressure on the Fuel Rail on the engine, so that the car will start when you finally activate the Starter.
This time delay, can increase with older cars, and finally may require a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, etc.

I can't remember how it was with my own Suzuki SX4, but on my current car, there is NO direct path to the NEG terminal on the battery from the Starter.
So it's important that every grounding point with the frame, is clean and free of any rust or corrosion. To minimize poor grounding on my own car, I connected a 24" battery cable, with eyelets on both ends, from the engine block to the NEG terminal on the battery. That assures perfect grounding for the starter in any climate or weather conditions.
Of course, with the so-called Maintenance Free battery, you can't service it or even tell when its fluid level is getting low, so all you can do is wait for it to fail and then replace it. I will only replace a Maintenance free battery with a FULL Maintenance battery with a cap for each cell, so I can maintain its fluid levels myself.

Good Luck,
The Shadow :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts