Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I don't own a Suzuki but my sister's 2009 Swift has been sitting in my garage for about 8 weeks since she has been indisposed. I had driven it a couple of times weekly for about 3 months prior and drove fine but has not been driven/started since about end of November 2018.

My sister will be ready to drive again in a couple of weeks so I figured I'd do the right thing, take it out, fill it up and clean it, so I put key in ignition, turned it, started it (it started to the point you hear it turn over then release the ignition) and in the same moment it died - like it had stalled. Subsequent attempt to restart, all accessory lights illuminate, but turning to ignition it gives a whirring sound, no cranking sound (no clicking sound like a flat battery). I checked fuses & relays, they all seem to be OK, battery output on multimeter is 12.47 which seems sufficient. Feels like starter motor/solenoid problem given no cranking but not sure, taking into consideration the way that it definitely started and then stopped makes me think the problem is more likely fuel pump or something electrical. It's a manual transmission but haven't tried roll starting it yet, if it starts and keeps running that way it probably isolates problem to starter.

It's probably going to have to go into the mechanics but I'd like to check as much of the basic stuff as I can before that happens.

Any suggestions for a caretaker Suzuki driver?

If it is a starter motor issue, east-west orientation in tiny engine bays always throw me but I can't see anything that looks remotely like the starter motor, am I going to have to jack the car up to see it from underneath?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Resolved

On weekend I emulated a 2nd gear push start with little momentum/no ignition, just enough to rotate flywheel a click (my old '78 Cortina s/m used to jam). Don't know if that helped or was mere coincidence but next ignition attempt it cranked, though definitely struggling and took a good 10-15 seconds to start and then was coughing and spluttering, idling really rough and blowing a lot of rich, wet exhaust. It eventually righted itself after rough idling for a few minutes. Multiple successful starts/stops since ;)

Really have no idea what the cranking problem was, I imagine the trouble starting and rough idling was from flooded with a volume of unspent fuel after many wasted pre-start injections. Can fuel degrade in as little as 7-8 weeks to the point it wont ignite? Quite baffling why it started first time after sitting cold for 7 weeks but then immediately stall.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
On weekend I emulated a 2nd gear push start with little momentum/no ignition, just enough to rotate flywheel a click (my old '78 Cortina s/m used to jam). Don't know if that helped or was mere coincidence but next ignition attempt it cranked, though definitely struggling and took a good 10-15 seconds to start and then was coughing and spluttering, idling really rough and blowing a lot of rich, wet exhaust. It eventually righted itself after rough idling for a few minutes. Multiple successful starts/stops since ;)

Really have no idea what the cranking problem was, I imagine the trouble starting and rough idling was from flooded with a volume of unspent fuel after many wasted pre-start injections. Can fuel degrade in as little as 7-8 weeks to the point it wont ignite? Quite baffling why it started first time after sitting cold for 7 weeks but then immediately stall.
fuel degrades, especially unleaded, within 4 weeks. Whats probably happened is its got a bit of a lungful of rubbish first time its started. If its been sitting for 7 weeks then started there will be old fuel in there not to mention a couple of cylinders will have had a valve open which lets moisture in the air in.
Start and stall is common in this situation, and it will have flooded. When you got the starter unjammed (again, common if its sat for a while and its been cold) and kept cranking, it would have been pouring fuel in. Foot flat to the floor would have stopped the fuel and allowed it to clear out the flooding.

When was the last time the plug gap was checked? this also doesn't help with starting if the gap is wider than spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's my sister's car, I'm at work now but will check out when next service is due, your reply makes a lot of sense, I'll be taking it for a short trip at least weekly until my sister is good to drive again - thanks for your reply. I like your quote about dogs in signature footer, it's clearly from experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts