Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
The missus is complaining of intermittent above issues that seems to be getting worse.
Its not temperature related as it happens at any time.
I cleaned the throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks, checked spark plugs, driven it for ages and never had it happened to me but as soon as she drives it she finds it has a hesitation / miss and when slowing down to stop it stalls.
It seems to start up again ok and drive fine until the next time it occurs.
It has an auto trans too.
Anyone else had this issue?
Mark.

·
Super Moderator
13,744 Posts
she finds it has a hesitation / miss and when slowing down to stop it stalls.
A common cause for this is a dirty EGR valve that may be intermittently sticking open or not closing fully. The EGR will typically open when the engine is on the "over run", and if it doesn't close properly as the vehicle comes to a stop the engine may stall.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Which engine is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A common cause for this is a dirty EGR valve that may be intermittently sticking open or not closing fully. The EGR will typically open when the engine is on the "over run", and if it doesn't close properly as the vehicle comes to a stop the engine may stall.
Cool, thanks for that info!
I take it you can clean them like a lot of others?
Mark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this just sucks ass.
I removed the EGR which was near spotless, the valve opened without sticking as soon as I gently pushed against its spring pressure, I also cleaned the airflow sensor.
Tonight we went out, engine at operating temp, slight uphill gradient, light throttle application, 50kmh and it hesitated for about 2 seconds.
Revs didn't drop - it felt like someone had pulled up the handbrake lever briefly and didn't play up again for the rest of the drive or later on the return drive.
Im wondering if its a transmission issue.
Its a normal auto not one of those rubbish CVT units.
If it has a lock up convertor then maybe its unlocking/locking intermittently.
That would cause the hestation issue at cruise and if it stayed locked when coming to a standstill that could cause it to stall like pulling up to a stop in a manual and not pressing the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
The automatic in these is designed to run slip control and will engage the torque converter clutch to give engine braking when coasting to a stop.
My 2008 does a similar thing, but not the stalling or missing part.

I have found that it doesn't like light throttle movements around town, it seems to get confused and tries to surge etc. Mine seems to be not too far above idle when its in D at 50 kph, round town I just knock it into 3 and it behaves.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The automatic in these is designed to run slip control and will engage the torque converter clutch to give engine braking when coasting to a stop.
My 2008 does a similar thing, but not the stalling or missing part.

I have found that it doesn't like light throttle movements around town, it seems to get confused and tries to surge etc. Mine seems to be not too far above idle when its in D at 50 kph, round town I just knock it into 3 and it behaves.
Hmm, interesting.
I thought maybe it dropped to 3rd and got stuck in between gears for a split second.
The only other things I could think of is a TPS issue or maybe a crank sensor issue but what do you do if theres no codes and the problem occurs so infrequently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, interesting.
I thought maybe it dropped to 3rd and got stuck in between gears for a split second.
The only other things I could think of is a TPS issue or maybe a crank sensor issue but what do you do if theres no codes and the problem occurs so infrequently?
And that TCC, if that engaged briefly when at cruise that would definitely cause a hesitation or even stall the engine coming to a stop if it didnt release at the point of stopping.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
It should release on the over run when the engine gets down to 1000 rpm to prevent stalling. Its just noticeable if you are doing 50 kph, let off the gas and don't touch the brakes. Once you slow to about 1000 rpm you should feel the tcc disengage (feels like light braking and then lifting off the oedal)
Mine tends to get all "soggy" and feels crappy with all the round town driving i do. I get it out on the motorway and give it a decent run and a few foot flat take-offs every so often just to shake it up a bit.

These also have a "learning " function in the auto that slightly adjusts the shift points and transmission function based on driver style. (Sort of like fuel trims adjusting for driving conditions to keep best mixture) im wondering if it could be related but its a guess at thus point.

As these are mostly drive by wire a sensor issue should cause other issues.

Start keeping a logbook of what the driver was doing before it happens and exact conditions when it dies happen, like temps distance into journey bumpy road etc. It might be the only way to nail this down.
Don't start swapping bits on hunches, too easy to introduce other problems

Reactions: XSNRGY
1 - 10 of 10 Posts