Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I recently picked up a 2009 GV from a guy on the west coast of canada (nanaimo). Shortly after I found some evidence of oil in the coolant (had a shop do a strip test). Tried to ask for my money back but it seems he was trying to deceive me and wouldn't accept - what a guy.

The car has 225,000 kms and the 2.4L j24b engine. After doing a bit of research I discovered this year of J24B is susceptible to cracked heads and blocks - I guess I should have researched before I bought the car!

After reading this TSB on the cracked head I decided to take the valve cover off to take a look. With pressure in the coolant system, there was no evidence of water sitting on the head or seeping through where the tsb above stated the cracking would occur. So back on goes the valve cover and I continue to drive it for about a week without any problems (except more oil in the coolant).

Since the car is well out of warranty and I cant afford to pay someone to tear the engine apart to find out where the problem resides, I decided to flush the coolant system and try to seal it with irontite thoroflush and ceramic sealer. During this process the cooling system did not seem to be functioning properly - the ECT was jumping up into the red with very little warning. I figured it was an airlock and continued to diagnose as such (parking on inclines, refilling the coolant, replacing the rad cap etc). After struggling with this for a while, I am starting to lean towards there being combustion gasses in the coolant system. I'm going to buy a "block tester" exhaust gas detection kit today to see if I am right.

Since I can't afford to have a Suzuki service center diagnose my problem, if there is combustion gasses in the coolant I will probably end up taking the head off myself. My goal would be to replace the head gasket and attempt to further diagnose the problem.

Are there any other tests I should be looking at trying before I take the head off?

Does anyone have any experience with this process? I found a service manual for a 2011 Kizashi (believe its the same engine) and it looks like they take the engine out before taking the head off. Is it actually necessary to take the engine out to replace the head gasket on the GV?

Has anyone had any luck getting their block replaced through this TSB in North America?

FYI, I do not have a lot of experience rebuilding engines or diagnosing car problems so thanks in advance for your input!

-Drew

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
If you are going to take the head off, search for the tensioner holding tool, its a pin with a slotted base at 90 degrees to the pin that bolts thru a bung on the timing cover. the purpose is o stop you having to take the front engine cover off to reset the chain tension when you remove the cams.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to take the head off, search for the tensioner holding tool, its a pin with a slotted base at 90 degrees to the pin that bolts thru a bung on the timing cover. the purpose is o stop you having to take the front engine cover off to reset the chain tension when you remove the cams.
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it might be hard to source. Do you happen to know what the pin diameter is? Looks like making one will be cheaper/easier.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
Pull the plug in the timing cover and have a look, I think its 4 or 5 mm but the memory is rusty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts