Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 4 winter tires for my wifes 2008 SX4, and got a good deal on four factory wheels that were take off's with little miles. I took the bunch to a tire dealer to get them installed, and he did not have valve stems for the wheels that would fit. He said they were a dealer item ? Any suggestions ? :confused:

·
Registered
143 Posts
are they standard 16 crossover wheels, if so a regualr rubber valve stem will fit them, altho youll have to live thru the winter with your TPMS light on all the time on the dash.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had originally taken the wheels and tires to Tire America for mounting and balance. On the invoice, they said they could not mount the tires with standard rubber valves because that would disable the TPMS system, which is required by Federal law on vehicles sold in the US 2008 model year and later. This would be a violation of Federal law if they substituted regular valves ? I took the wheels to a small service station and they used rubber size .453 valve stems, and mounted and balanced the tires. I hope the Feds don't shut them down. They seemed So nice, and cheap to. I won't install the wheels and tires on the car until mid November. I am being told it won't hurt the car with the TPMS light on, it may just be annoying.

·
Registered
143 Posts
well i had the dealership i bought my car from switch to the rubber stems since they wouldnt pay to replace 3 of my 4 broken TPMS valve stems that their OEM Brass Stem Covers BROKE! because i was over my 36K mile warranty by 400 miles or so. yet roadside service had no problem with me being slightly over, and towed me to the dealership, 25+ miles, for no charge.

the stealership never even mentioned anything about not being able to do it due to it violating a law.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it is because the law supposedly states 2008 model year and above, and yours is a 2007 ? If it is true about this, you'd think they'd have to fix it like they have to give you longer warranties on the emision components. I see your in the Pocono Mts. in Pa. We're near Nemacolin Resort. How does your SX4 go in the snow. We haven't owned ours yet in winter. It is a AWD.

·
Registered
143 Posts
well for one, know how to drive in snow. if you do, this car will take you anywhere, without a problem. i drove it 2 weeks after buying it in the valentines day blizzard that hit PA in 2007, 80 something miles to pickup my gf from school at 10pm. the roads were unplowed, and i didnt have a single problem going thru the twisty hilly mountain roads. i know my truck wouldnt have done it that easily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts