Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! This is my first post so go easy on me! :p
I bought a 2008 White Suzuki SX4 in July 2016. Has been running beautifully. I live in Florida and it gets hot here.

Anyways. Having some issues with the air conditioning.

Since I bought the car, the AC has been running great for a year. Now it is the hottest part of the year for Florida(August) and my AC is acting up.

For awhile now, when I start my car, whether my AC is on or off, I will periodically hear a clicking/tapping noise.. Sometimes its very rapid, or it can be slow coming from inside the dash. This is very evident when I start my car after it sat all night. It did not effect my AC until now I believe. The air doesn't maintain cold temperature. It isn't warm but it isn't cold like it was before. :confused:

Checked if the Compressor needed R34. It is full, so that isn't the issue. As far as I can tell everything related to the AC under the hood is functioning because I'm still receiving air that is cold to an extent. I think the problem is under the dash.

I have my AC set to 65 degrees, its blowing out at like maybe 75-88 :huh:
the temperature fluctuates

A buddy of mine who is a decent mechanic said it could be a Blend door, a lever, or actuator that has gone bad. Something in there is causing the tapping and my AC to not function at 100%. :(

Please help.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Your buddy could be correct, the noise could be the actuator gears jumping. If its worn out or the blend doors are stuck. I don't know how accessible the actuator is to view to see if it moves with temperate adjustment. Here's a few pages from the manual to help identify the suspect actuator.

I would expect the AC dial lights to be flashing a code though ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Excellent data from Darrell. ANd happily, contrary to some shop manuals, you can do the search with a simple multimeter. SOme manufacturers will prov ide methods that rely on advance scanners specific to the type of car, unavailable to the normal user.

Of course, HiTech A/C is complicated to diagnose, because of the several components it relies on. That is a reason why I stick with low tech...3 buttons, mechanical blend... models. (WIfe's SX4 is JX ..middle model..., and the Sorento I bought 10 months ago was deliberately chosen low tech. )
Adding to the problem, accessing the components means agressing the "PLASTIC" without damaging a thing.

DO not forget to report findings as others will certainly benifit from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darrell, thank you so much for this diagram of the AC components behind the dash. This will be extremely useful for me to find the issue!

I still don't have a repair manual, lol! Need to get one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LMP I will definitely let anyone know what I find.

Seeing as taking out the dash is a long and sensitive process (hopefully no plastic pieces break on me...)

I'm being told by my friend this could take between 5-8 hours depending on the issue.

With that being said, I may replace a few parts while the dash is out to prevent the dash needing to be pulled out again too soon. The old saying goes "If you replace one part, usually another one goes bad soon after."

(If anyone has any suggestions of parts that I can replace while it's open, I'm all ears. ie; Heater Core, air control actuator, control links, etcetera.) Otherwise I won't touch anything until it goes bad.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blimey, do you really need to have the dash out to get at anything. I've never looked under the dash on one so have no idea.

If you do go for it, the manuals can be downloaded here :thumbsup:
2007-2009 SX4 Parts Catalog & Service Manual
Yup Still to do mine - read here.
http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sx4-forum/234650-sx4-uk-2012-ventilation-problem.html

Its that time of year and the whole left side of the car is freezing!

In the meantime I have bought a whole HVAC from a breaker to take apart, before I remove Dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts