Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a well known topic. The ac clutch on my SX4 went out a couple years ago and I just recently had the money to get it fixed. Took it to my mechanic who sent it to the shop that he has do all of his AC work. Turns out it's a transmission shop moonlighting in AC repair. Diagnosis, bad AC clutch. Something about the magnet inside. $925 for new compressor, he didn't want to put a reman compressor on, labor and refrigerant. He recommend changing the condenser, but not necessary, for another $250, but I didn't have the extra money to do that. After installing the first compressor I was told it was making a noise so he wanted to put another one on. He didn't feel comfortable with that one. Got the second one put on and went and picked up the car. It keeps cool air but not as cold as you would think a new compressor and fresh refrigerant would feel. Not even as cold as my 2003 galant with its original compressor. After a week, I didn't feel comfortable with how it was working so I took it back. He claims that compressor went bad so he ordered another one. Put that one on and it was slightly cooler but still not what I expected. The outside temp has been between 80-100 lately. I have to turn the AC on high and recirculate to keep the car cool. The transmission shop said that if this compressor went bad, he would want to replace the condenser next time too. Well today, the compressor started making a clacking sound. It is still blowing cool but I assure this compressor is about to kick the bucket as well. I spoke with an actual AC repair place and they said maybe the drier or the expansion valve needed to be replaced. Whatever it is, I don't think my AC is blowing as cold as it should and something seems to have caused my third compressor to get on the fritz. Has anyone repaired their sx4 AC and had to replace other components to get it to work properly? I don't want the changing the condenser if that's not the problem. Visually there is no damage to the condenser and I would assume the shop would have checked for leaks before giving the car back to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts