Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting and trying to help a friend.

The car is a 2008 Swift and A/C no longer works. Switch seems to be fine and lights up. System has no leak, it's fully charged.

We hear a "click" and perhaps the A/C clutch failed? (Does the radiator fan supposed to come on as well when the A/C is on? The radiator/condenser fan doesn't seem to be turning on when the A/C is on.)

If it's a clutch/compressor issue would 2004-2007 compressor fit 2008?

thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
17,571 Posts
Does the radiator fan supposed to come on as well when the A/C is on?
Yes. Check fuses, relays and the fan proper for freedom to turn.

After that, you'll need an A/C Tech if you didn't locate the problem.

would 2004-2007 compressor fit 2008?
We don't know without you posting your location, origin of the vehicle, engine type and size. :huh:

You can look here yourself when you have the info...

RockAuto Parts Catalog

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So radiator fan the condenser fan is the same one... I think?

Here is the info: Got this from the VIN #.

Location is Canada

Model: Swift
Make: Suzuki
Model year: 2008
Manufacturer: GM Daewoo Auto and Technology Company
Manufactured in: Korea (South) (Asia)
Plant: Bupyung
Sequential number: 067304

Body type: 4-Door Hatchback
Driveline: FWD
Engine capacity: L4, 1.6L DOHC MPFI
Engine series: 4-Cyl. 1.6L
Fuel type: Gasoline
Safety restraints: Manual Belts; Dual Air Bags
Series: Swift +
Vehicle type: Passenger car

·
Super Moderator
17,571 Posts
Have you a fan in FRONT of the radiator? THAT is the A/C condensing fan. Not sure of your engine configuration, but I assume that you have a second (radiator / cooling) fan between the radiator and engine (electric or engine driven). ;)

Your model compressor is...

2008 SUZUKI SWIFT+ A/C Compressor

I don't see a compressor listed for the earlier years, thus I assume THEY are different. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you a fan in FRONT of the radiator? THAT is the A/C condensing fan. Not sure of your engine configuration, but I assume that you have a second (radiator / cooling) fan between the radiator and engine (electric or engine driven). ;)

Your model compressor is...

2008 SUZUKI SWIFT+ A/C Compressor

I don't see a compressor listed for the earlier years, thus I assume THEY are different. :(
thanks! I'll double check the fan. I know there is one at the rear of the radiator. I am not sure if there is one between the radiator and condenser or not but when I turned A/C on I didn't feel any fan blowing like my cars do. My car has a 2 fan config side by side. The Swift as far as I can see has only one fan which could serve both A/C & radiator?

·
Super Moderator
17,571 Posts
The Swift as far as I can see has only one fan which could serve both A/C & radiator?
Possibly. I don't even see the Swift listed in my favorite data base. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so it's definitely only 1 fan behind the condenser and radiator. Fan does not come on when I press the A/C button.

I can hear the clutch engage when I press the A/C button and I can hear the freeon running through the line inside the cabinet ... I guess it's something like the expansion valve that's broken?

·
Super Moderator
17,571 Posts
Fan does not come on when I press the A/C button.
THAT is the issue. Either a bad fan, fan RELAY, the wires between same or possibly no signal from the A/C.

The fan should ALSO turn on when the engine (radiator) is calling for cooling. But should alway be on when you are using A/C.

Do the fan (blades) turn with easily by hand with the car OFF? :huh: IF not, the fan motor is mechanically seized or the blades are hitting something.

Freon hissing sounds are normal at start-up. If they continue AFTER running for a bit, that is an indication of a low freon charge. You'll need gauges at that point to confirm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fan does turn on when the engine coolant needs cooling.

Fan does not turn on when A/C is on. I checked the fuse, relays and they seem to all work (swapped the relay with known working headlight relay and same).

Next is to try to wire the fan directly to the battery and see if it helps with A/C cooling.

My friend did go to a few A/C places and one place said it's the "bleeding valve" and takes 6 weeks to order the part? wow!

I will double-check freon level and see. I might just give up altogether!

thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
17,571 Posts
one place said it's the "bleeding valve"
Never heard that term with regards to A/C's. :huh: The closest component to that term would be the expansion valve, which coincidentally makes that "hissing" sound that was discussed at some point. ;) That still has nothing to do with the fan though.

It's good that the fan RUNS when needed, it's just a fault on the A/C side. It will take a more indepth approach (with electrical schematic and test equipment) to pinpoint the problem now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts