Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2008 Suzuki SX4 hatchback with about 65,000 miles on it. The AC struggles a lot during the hot and sunny days. It works perfectly fine in the mornings and evenings, or on cold days, cloudy rainy afternoons. But hot and sunny afternoons its not good at all, which I cant figure out.

I recently changed the cabin air filter and the blower motor beneath the glove compartment because it was making noises, and it did some good but still not great.

The compressor does run, the tube under the hood (I dont know its name) is cold if you touch it.

The green light inside the car blinks off and on sometimes, but not all of the time.

If I drive my car on a hot and sunny afternoon I cannot feel anything from where Im sitting. Its like the cold air doesnt go farther than a few inches and doesnt circulate in the car. In the mornings its nice and cold and I can feel like it perfectly.

Any ideas what this could be?

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Go see a pro shop get them to put a set of gauges on it and check charge level. They do lose charge over time. Do not use a home recharge can, great way to over fill and destroy things or cause expensive damage.
The blinking a/c light indicates a fault in the system, if its intermittent it nay be being triggered by a low charge state. Either way, go see a pro shop for a diagnosis and charge check

Reactions: CBaz44

·
Registered
Suzuki SX4 (EY, GV) Petrol 1.6 VVT 4X4 (RW 416)88 kW/120PS, MY 2013
12 Posts
One possible cause of malfunction is the A/C clutch failure. The clearance between plate and clutch pulley should be between 0.20-0.50 mm, (0.010-0.0190in.). If more, the gap is too wide and the cluch does not work properly. To fix the problem adjust the gap with shims. Pls. see workshop manual 7B-33 and related pages. I made this repair at 160 000 kms and the A/C works now fine.
As I started my story, this is just one possible cause of malfunction. If the vehicle is old, there are several other alternatives for malfunction, such as refrigerant level (leakage), electrical problems including relay an so on. But try this one first. It is cheap and relatively easy.

·
Administrator
18,333 Posts
The fact that that the system cools on a "not so hot" day, but struggles on a hotter day points to three areas, a possible lack of air flow on the evaporator side, a possible lack of air flow on the condenser side, and a possible low refrigerant charge level.

The fact that it cools at all suggests that the clutch is not the issue, it also eliminates the clutch relay as the fault.

The evaporator side has been checked, it's possible that it may be dirty and need cleaning, but that is not a job for the inexperienced, the condenser side of things needs to be looked at - make sure there is no debris blocking the air flow, make sure the fan(s) are functional, being transverse engined, an SX4 will have one, possibly two electric fans, and once that's been done, a low refrigerant charge would be the next thing to consider.

As has been mentioned by a previous responder, these systems gradually loose charge over time, making low refrigerant charge a high probability - if the system does not have a sight glass, the only way to verify this is with a gauge set, and that is a task best left to someone with experience.

Reactions: CBaz44

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, so I took my car to Meineke to have an AC check this morning. They found nothing wrong except the refrigerant was a quarter low so he put some in.

He said the compressor, condenser, belts, blower motor were all good.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont really feel a difference so far. I got in the car yesterday afternoon around 4pm and the AC wasnt cold like it is in the mornings.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well...where are you ? No intent to minimize your perception, but any AC system has a definite and limited capacity to extract energy from the air. Lets say it has a 6000 BTU capacity, this will cool down the air a given amouint of degrees..ambient warmer air will get out at a higher temperature than when the ambient air is colder. In addition, warmer air generally contains more moisture, and the energy to cool down and condensate the moisture is no longer available to cool the air..but dryer air does feel more confortable.
Of course, you have experience with your car and if you feel that it performed better before, then I trust your perception. I have doubt though about "...the refrigerant was a quarter low .." as such a measurement or statement is , I'd say, misleasing. Was he meaning "pressure"? anyway..the thermodynamics of a mixture of a refrigerant in both the gazeous and liquid sate requires a thorough understanding .
ANd one thing you did not mention...is it a manual or automatic HVAC? What is the complete description of your car, what trim level ? IT has happened before on this forum that the mixer door did not move totally to the full cold stream, then allowing a partial mixture of warm and cold streams....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts