Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya guys,
we have just had our timing belt replaced on our F9Q engine DDi, as we had done 83000 km and we wanted to get it done before it snapped!! After 12 kms at an average of 60km/h we heard a bang and loud rattling. After towing our baby back to the repairer we were told our cam gear had spun :eek:. Has any one else experienced this problem with the cam gear spinning? Have searched the net and can't seem to find much on it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
... Have searched the net and can't seem to find much on it.
Well, aside from your terminology being a bit off, you found no results because it's not an engine design defect. Your mechanic screwed up the job and owes you a no-cost repair and a rental car for the duration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kia Ora,
Thanks for your reply. I am using the terminology the repairer stated to me and thats my opinion as well but just wanted to see if any other F9Q engines suffer this fate as a general problem

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You might try camshaft sprocket or pulley, assuming the failure was in that area.
Nice manual here even though it's for a mitsubishi.
More important is what the mechanic's position is on this.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Was it a Suzuki dealer, or the guy down the road that did the job?

·
Registered
429 Posts
If they are not budging, i would ring Suzuki Australia and complain.

So is there any damage, or anything broken that needs replacing? I know it's obvious that they didn't tighten the bolt. Damn dorks !!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just 'minor damage' bent valves, stuffed cam and cam gear, impacted pistons, con rod bearings!!! Still not their fault apparently, but they are claiming it on their insurance, not sure how that works!! We have complaints in with MTA, Suzuki Australia, RAA and Consumer Affairs. They are starting to play the game but are still very arrogant. We have a full service history thru Suzuki dealerships that Suzuki Australia have sent us which is helping us. Thanks for your help and advice guys.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'd call that major damage. It is incomprehensible that they were not a party to that failure. They have botched the cam belt job one way or another and the "spun cam gear" was simply the end result of valves hitting pistons, as something had to give way. It's not an uncommon mistake.

Eventually someone in one of those organisations will understand this and the dealer will be held liable for their mechanic's incompetence. Be sure you get some kind of warranty for the work and even requesting compensation for your time and effort. There could be damage to the crankshaft and block that may not appear for some time.

Also, in the interest of other Aus diesel owners, you should reveal the location of the dealer so that people who have assisted you here can learn from your experience and use appropriate caution.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey deb,

name and shame. Where are they, and shop name?:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts