Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My '08 SX4 JLX AWD (162,000 kms) needs a rear wheel bearing yet again. I've had two previously changed and now want to go with a different manufacturer (the others were dealer supplied and installed).

Does anyone have any experience with Beck/Arnley $125 CAD or Timken $380 CAD?

Big difference in price so I'm wondering if the Beck/Arnley is a good choice.

Also, if anyone can advise what size socket is required for the drive shaft nut and is it necessary to remove the drive shaft or can it remain connected to the differential and the hub assembly slid off?

Thanks for any info :)

·
Super Moderator
18,425 Posts
I've purchased two Beck/Arnley items through RockAuto. Both were high quality, if that helps any. :)

I don't think that Beck/Arnley is actually IN the bearing manufacturing business, FWIW. Not sure who makes their products in other words.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Max,
I think Beck/Arnley just repackage so I wonder if they supply the OEM hub assembly?
I'll keep shopping around, RockAuto have Timken bearings in the hub assembly but they would be costly to ship to Canada.
I'm familiar with Timken and SKF quality from my Citroens and probably worth the premium.
Cheers

·
Registered
566 Posts
I've also used some Beck/arnley stuff without problems. Here in Canada, we get screwed regularly on auto parts pricing! My wife had the front wheel bearings replaced on her Sunfire at a GM dealer with expensive OE parts. They gave her back the old bearings in the boxes of the replacements so I could inspect. In tiny print on the GM label was "made in china"!:eek: If you're more comfortable dropping near a grand on a pair of bearings, that's your right ! When the time comes I'll likely try the B/A items! Oh yeah= another poster says rear driveshaft removal isn't needed! Peace, brother !;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello theforsa,

Thanks for your input - much appreciated. I'm going to try a Beck/Arnley wheel hub assembly from RockAuto, I think it's going to be less expensive even with shipping and customs.
I think the other part I'll need for the job is a new rear drive shaft/axle nut, so I'll buy that from the dealer. The torque is not too great so a socket and breaker bar type handle should do the trick.
I fitted a rear differential oil seal yesterday and changed the gear oil. I used synthetic
gear oil. This is the second oil seal replacement for the right side. The last one was done by the dealer and I discovered they rounded off one of the flange nuts and the oil filler plug looks like it had been removed with a cold chisel :D
Also did a transmission fluid change and transfer case oil change - used synthetic too. A coolant flush and thermostat is next. Nothing wrong with the thermostat as far as I know but it will be interesting to see if a new one gives any improvement in fuel economy - worth the cost and time with record high gasoline prices. :D

Enjoy the weekend :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a brilliant find! Looks like its an AWD and not FWD hub assembly too, I'll verify that with the seller.

Thanks so much :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still waiting for a reply from the seller. I noticed the lack of wheel studs and I've queried that with the seller. The photo shows threaded holes for the studs and I think they should be serrated?

I'll post if I receive a reply from the seller.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seller says to order with the OEM# to ensure the correct hub is purchased and that wheel studs are not included.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered one will let you know if they will work. I have a 2008 sx4 awd
for that cheap of price im wondering about the quality, will see.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks sx4banger. Not much to lose at that price but the absence of the wheel studs and the holes appearing to be threaded deterred me from ordering.

I'll look forward to your review and how you deal with the wheel studs. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
update on wheel bearing for the rear of 2008 sx4 all wheel drive. These bearings work with the following parts or mods. threaded holes where studs go are 12mm 1.5 fine thread holes. you can get or use bolts at parts store if you want like the old volvo's use that have the acorn head for mounting rims. I chose to use a drill and get rid of the threads, so i could use the stock wheel studs and nuts. Suzuki uses a 12mm 1.25 fine thread stud. drill the holes as follows. I used a 29/64 drill bit first on all the holes to remove the threads. then i used a 15/32 drill bit to make the holes a bit larger. you can press the studs in from here or use washers to pull the studs in with the lug nut so the nut doesn't run out of threads. not that hard to do. A tip go get new studs and nuts from parts store, use good old dorman studs, only a couple bucks each for usa steel!

·
Registered
566 Posts
SX4Banger- thanks for the info! What is the quality like? Do they have the ABS sensors like in the Photos ? Any complaints? :confused:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, sounds like it was a really good deal. :) I'll check into what's available for studs from NAPA and take it from there. Presumably you had a drill press, I don't have one but I expect a machine shop would do that job for me. Really good of you to share the info, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear wheel hub on SX4

Yup,

You get to be an expert in wheel bearings if you own an SX4. The front ones have given be about 60K miles each, on 3rd bearings now.

On the rear you do not need to remove axle from differential.

The axle nut there is 30mm, the fronts are 32mm

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts