Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a left hand drive Vitara in Spain. 4 years ago a zigzag square amber warning light appeared in the Rev Counter binnacle. No impact on performance and came on a went off at random. For three years the car has passed its ITV (MOT)

The car has never gone into limp mode.

The light is now on 95% of the time and appears immediately engine starts and then stays on.

Occasionally it will go off for a period and then come on again.

What is the light telling me?
Should I be worried about it?
How do I fix it?

Thanks
Ian

· Super Moderator
20,116 Posts
Is yours a Diesel?

Font Circle Line art Design Pattern

· Registered
105 Posts
It is a multipurpose light. You should go to a workshop so they could be able to read de fail code and tell you the issue.
This symbol is a resistor. So some resistor value is out of range. No means to know the issue without knowing the triggered code.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Trouble is... this light doesn't usually throw up any codes!
It can, its part of the immobiliser circuit warning, along with the water warning in the filter and several other semi critical warnings. Most commonly associated with vehicle entering limp mode as the system tries to protect the engine from serious damage. If this is lit, start diagnosis before it morphs into a serious issue.

· Premium Member
597 Posts
With most of the new items coming up here being the diesel engine I think that the economy of diesel isn't enough to make me want one. I know that a lot of the issues are caused by maintenance (or mostly the lack of it) but it seems to me that this particular engine maybe has a few problems.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
With most of the new items coming up here being the diesel engine I think that the economy of diesel isn't enough to make me want one. I know that a lot of the issues are caused by maintenance (or mostly the lack of it) but it seems to me that this particular engine maybe has a few problems.
They call it a rodent F9Q (or a FQU2 as known by the mechanics that have the unfortunate "pkeasure" of working on them) for a reason. Suzuki took an ok engine turned it sideways, put their engine management on it and made it a nightmare.
In the Laguna its fine, Renault use different engine management algorithms

Ask anybody thats done an oil change on one, or a thermostat

· Registered
Suzuki Grand Vitara
17 Posts
Hello
If you would like the full factory service manual ( it is about 27 MB in size) I can put it up in cloud storage place for you. You generally can get more than 80,000 miles out of this DPF but if the car has done a lot of short trips then the DPFs can get permanently clogged from as low as 50,000 miles on the clock.

Generally if you have the zigzag light on there will be an associated fault code which a good scanner should be able to find.

Best regards

Bob Townsend

PS I have edited this post as an earlier posting by another on fault code P2002 has now been deleted by that user.

Attachments

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Hello

I keep the full Suzuki Diesel factory service manuals: I have attached to this post an extract of the pages explaining your fault code P2002 ( at page 2) : would seem that your DPF needs replacing. If you had just a problem with the Differential Pressure Sensor you would be getting a different error code. Have a look at the second page of the attachment.

If you would like the full factory service manual ( it is about 27 MB in size) I can put it up in cloud storage place for you. You generally can get more than 80,000 miles out of this DPF but if the car has done a lot of short trips then the DPFs can get permanently clogged from as low as 50,000 miles on the clock.

You should be able to get aftermarket DPFs which fit the Suzuki as they are the same engine as the Renault Megane II. In Australia we pay about EUR500 for these DPFs. They should cost you less in Europe because that is where they are made.

Best regards

Bob Townsend
Where did it say he has a P0002? I can't see any references to that code in any of the posts in this thread, only that he as a warning light.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry guys I have been away.
First to moolwadowns Thanks for Manual extract. sorry but way too complicated for me. I know the DPF was changed in the last 6 months.

2013GV Thanks for your latest input. I appreciate it.

On this forum there seems to quite a few incidents of the amber zig zag light coming on and staying on.

It also appears there is no "go to" fix.

The one thing I will say is that over the last couple of years the car has not gone into limp mode or any deterioration of performance.

The car has very limited use as we use it when on holiday maybe 8 times a year and probably 12 journeys on each holiday most (but not all) are short trips. Usually in each holiday 1 or 2 long trips (200 miles)

Each year before Spanish annual ITV/MOT test my garage puts some diesel emissions cleaner in tank, runs it hard and then takes to test centre. has always passed emmisions test even though zig zag light always on!.

not sure what to do next as a main dealer check will probably cost more than car is worth!!.

· Registered
105 Posts
Trouble is... this light doesn't usually throw up any codes!
Do you mean you have plugged an OBD tool and no code is shown? That's not possible. Maybe your tools is defective in that case. A cheap Chinese obd tools cost 20€. Whit that and a android application like Torque you can scan the code value and try to understand better the issue. In example, the EGR shows the same light when is in an error.
I'm not sure about the status of your car, but probably has more value than the repair. My advice about the dealers, to use an official Suzuki one. They are more used to this car than in the general ones.

Regards,

· Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,449 Posts
Basic OBDII code reader may not detect codes as they are primarily designed for detecting emissions...

· Registered
14,010 Posts
Do you mean you have plugged an OBD tool and no code is shown? That's not possible. Maybe your tools is defective in that case. A cheap Chinese obd tools cost 20€. Whit that and a android application like Torque you can scan the code value and try to understand better the issue. In example, the EGR shows the same light when is in an error.
I'm not sure about the status of your car, but probably has more value than the repair. My advice about the dealers, to use an official Suzuki one. They are more used to this car than in the general ones.

Regards,
Scan tool won't detect the Zig Zag light if its lit from a blocked filter, or water in the filter either.

· Registered
105 Posts
Scan tool won't detect the Zig Zag light if its lit from a blocked filter, or water in the filter either.
In that case it is better to take the car to the workshop so that they can read it with the professional tool. They won't charge that much for reading the code.

For the normal and common issues with the DPF, EGR, the basic ones do the job.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
In that case it is better to take the car to the workshop so that they can read it with the professional tool. They won't charge that much for reading the code.

For the normal and common issues with the DPF, EGR, the basic ones do the job.
My pro scan tool won't tell you if there's water in the filter, thats not a code setting issue. You need to understand there are many things that zig zag light covers, and not all of them will set a code. Taking it to a shop may also result in a " no codes found" result, even with a genuine Suzuki scan tool.

90% of the codes can be read with a pretty basic tool, the main things the basic ones can't get are hvac, transmission, and srs.

However, I have an elm327 dongle here that along with sz viewer has never failed to read a suzuki apart from ones with comms issues

· Registered
105 Posts
The code won't say you have water in the filter, but at least you will have the code triggered from the sensor which is out of range, and it is generating that zigzag icon on the dashboard.

· Registered
14,010 Posts
The code won't say you have water in the filter, but at least you will have the code triggered from the sensor which is out of range, and it is generating that zigzag icon on the dashboard.
You don't get a code from water in the filter, its just a switch that turns the light on.
But, any emissions related item the can produce a code will turn the light on as well.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Guys just an update on my original post from last year. Couple of nitble changes/discoveries.

When I went out to Spain a ouple of weeks ago the care had been unused for 3 months. It started first time and the zigzag light came on as usual. I also had a new light in the same dial which turned out to be particulate filter getting blocked. I accordance with user manual I took it out for a blast at recommended RPM and that light went out and has stayed off fo last two weeks.

I also ran fuel tank down to warning light and then put in a system cleaner that said it would clean injectors, ECR, fiters, valves etc etc. Put another 15 litres of diesel in as per instructions and ran car for 40 mins as per instructions at various reve ranges.

Anyway zig zag light went out Hallalulah!!

Then stopped engine and 30 mins later restarted car and zigzag light back on.

But here is the thing!

I have discovered that when I start the car from cold zigzag light comes on and stays on for duration of journey- typically 40 mins.

However, I have also discovered that Once the car has reached working temperature (by water temp guage) if I then stop car wait between 40 secs and 1 minute I then restart warm car and zigzag light does not illuminate and stays off for duration of trip. Only when car has cooled down and I restart engine does the zigzag come on again.

I went through this engine hot, turn off, wqait for a minute, restart, no light cycle numerous times. Worked every time in terms fo keeping zigzag off!

Is this series of engine temp verses zigzag light events telling me anything specific in terms of what is illuminating the light?

· Registered
50 Posts
FWIW I'll add my six pennorth:
After multiple zig zag issues last year, usually halfway on a long trip, no codes shown, pipes & sensors intact etc etc, I decided (from tractor experience)to change the fuel filter a couple of times. Had a good look at the first filter removed & couldn't see anything untoward. Changed the new filter after a week & put some biocide in the tank. I had this on hand after problems with my tractor diesel supply. Since then ( last September) no more zig zag lights - it may be worth a try for little money or hassle?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts