Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow suzuki drivers.

I've been having an issue with my SX4. It is an 07' base edition.

At around 30mph, when it is set to 2-wheel-drive, the car will begin vibrating quite a lot. Not just the steering wheel, but the entire car. I can feel it in the seat, and passangers can feel it too.
Before the 30mph mark, it's just fine, and after ~30 mph, it goes away.
Setting it to 4-wheel-drive and locking it seems to really dampen out the shaking a lot, but it is still there.

Also, it has a repetitive, cyclic, almost squeaking sound whose frequency matches the speed of the car. I'm not sure if the sound is related to the shaking.

Any ideas on what it could be? I'm not sure what other information I could give to help diagnose this issue.

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
-I would suspect the rear driving shaft. that is, universal joints. . When coupler is energized (4WD mode) , the coupling of the rear with the transfer case might in fact dampen the vibration. Can you use the video mode on a camera to capture the sound and post it ?...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-I would suspect the rear driving shaft. that is, universal joints. . When coupler is energized (4WD mode) , the coupling of the rear with the transfer case might in fact dampen the vibration. Can you use the video mode on a camera to capture the sound and post it ?...
Hello LMP,

Thanks for your response. I tried to take a video of the issue, making sure that I captured the sound I mentioned. Unfortunately, the sound was not apparent this time around. Not sure why.

In any case, I ended up taking it to a shop and they diagnosed it as an issue with the U-joint (universal join you mentioned?) and it currently being repaired.

Thanks again for your input and assistance!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Not related to any U-Joints, but I've had times when I'd go out on the highway and as soon as I got up to highway speed the car would start shaking violently.

I found the cause to be mud caked up inside a front rim. Cleaning that out solved the problem.

I only kept my SX4 for four years, not long enough to wear out any U-Joints.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!
:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts