Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey team, Newbie here.

The Mrs has a ZC31S and it seems to be chewing through strut top mounts...

We got the car maybe 4-5 months ago. Noticed a knocking noise coming form the front suspension about a month ago, turns out it was the strut top mounts so had them replaced and was fine. Just noticed the other day it sounds like the knocking noise is coming back and I refuse to believe its chewed through another pair of top mounts so soon.

Is this a common issue? I can't find much on the interballs at all so makes me think it's not so common.

Don't really want to be replacing top mounts every month or two.

Any ideas?

Will be getting the car up on jack stands to give it a proper look at some point.

Cheers

·
Registered
RS413, 2007, Magyar, M/T
3 Posts
Hey! It's been a while, but did you ever get this resolved?

I own a rs413 2007 and mine keeps going through top mounts on the right side only.

I've already replaced it twice and and now it's starting to get loose again. The first mount lasted about seven years with MANY MANY miles then any replacement lasted about 2 years with not nearly enough miles.

But what trips me up is it's always the right mount, but when replaced the left and right don't seem that different in wear.

I'm considering replacing the top cap to check if it's warped (as the top cap and the top mount sandwich the chassis between them) but I'm not sure it will tell me much.

However: mine makes no noise whatsoever while driving. I only notice it during routine maintenance by jiggling the wheel and strut up and down. It's not noticeable when the car is on the ground.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I'd be questioning the quality of the replacement parts. Most Suzuki strut mounts are nothing more than a chunk of rubber in a metal frame with a metal bush through the center - nothing to really fail other that the rubber of the "bond" between the rubber and the metal fittings.

·
Registered
RS413, 2007, Magyar, M/T
3 Posts
I'd be questioning the quality of the replacement parts. Most Suzuki strut mounts are nothing more than a chunk of rubber in a metal frame with a metal bush through the center - nothing to really fail other that the rubber of the "bond" between the rubber and the metal fittings.
I can't say about OPs case obviously, but for my case:
Always used the genuine suzuki part, always replaced them as a pair. And still, only the passenger side goes. Parts don't come out visibly damaged or abused, just normally worn.

I've never replaced strut bearings as they've always been perfect, not even tracks or scratches in them.

However I've also not replaced the top cap and I'm thinking i might have a warped one on the passenger side, making the top mount not able to preload correctly. It's just a theory at the moment though.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
I think I need to ask this question - what does "normal wear" on a strut mount look like? Even though I'm tempted, I'll refrain from describing a second time, how strut mounts are constructed - some have a bearing, some don't, if I recall correctly, the Swift mounts don't - the strut bearing is separate and external to the mount - which would mean there are no moving parts to wear - so it's pretty much either the rubber is torn, the metal has separated - in other words, visible damage - or the mount is good.

I'll just point out here that I have a thirty year old 1992 Swift with the original mounts still in it - I have changed the bearings, but not the mounts, I also own a couple of other twenty plus year old vehicles with macpherson strut front suspension, and the only one that has needed new strut mounts is the one with the bearing integrated into the mount - the bearing is what was worn, not the mounts themselves.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
One more thing - it's not unusual for passenger side suspension & steering components to deteriorate faster than their driver's side companion - they get damaged when drivers "kerb" the tire, park on the sidewalk, or simply due to the fact that pot holes and other road defects are more common closer to the edge of the road than the center.

I remember "blowing" out a passenger side strut on the Swift I mentioned earlier, I hit a collapsed culvert "sink hole" - the strut blew the seal out, but the mount survived.

·
Registered
RS413, 2007, Magyar, M/T
3 Posts
I think I need to ask this question - what does "normal wear" on a strut mount look like? Even though I'm tempted, I'll refrain from describing a second time, how strut mounts are constructed - some have a bearing, some don't, if I recall correctly, the Swift mounts don't - the strut bearing is separate and external to the mount - which would mean there are no moving parts to wear - so it's pretty much either the rubber is torn, the metal has separated - in other words, visible damage - or the mount is good.

I'll just point out here that I have a thirty year old 1992 Swift with the original mounts still in it - I have changed the bearings, but not the mounts, I also own a couple of other twenty plus year old vehicles with macpherson strut front suspension, and the only one that has needed new strut mounts is the one with the bearing integrated into the mount - the bearing is what was worn, not the mounts themselves.

Normal wear as in not broken, not bend, not coming apart (rubber from metal) not frayed (as in evidence of movement, rotation or tearing of the rubber), not scratched.

Just, simply, worn. rubber reduced in "volume", ridges shallower, and overall harder (as in the rubber has become more compacted).

This isn't hard to fathom: Think of a tire. It has no moving parts, yet one can clearly tell when it's been abused or just simply done it's miles.

My issue (again, can't speak for OP) isn't solely that the right always goes,

It's that it goes in about 2 years, even though the stock one (same exact part) lasted yell over 7 years and well over 100.000 Ks (over 60k miles)

So basically: Left side NEVER worn, right side needs replacing every two years.

(I also never park on sidewalks and have almost never curbed the front passenger wheel)

This is just weird.

·
Super Moderator
15,401 Posts
This isn't hard to fathom: Think of a tire. It has no moving parts, yet one can clearly tell when it's been abused or just simply done it's miles.
Unlike the strut mount, the tire is being abraded against the road surface, that's probably the worst comparison you could have made - I'm still of the opinion that you're replacing strut mounts unnecessarily, but hey, it's not my money you're spending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts