Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my suzuki sx4 2007 has the airbag light on since I purchased the car off a firefighter. I think it has to do with the recall about the airbag seat...

Car is fine from everything else.. am I still eligible for recall?

Recall Number
13V405000
Recall Date
09/06/2013
Component
AIR BAGS
Summary

Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. (Suzuki) is recalling certain model year 2006-2011 Grand Vitara and 2007-2011 SX4 vehicles. In the affected vehicles, over time, the OCS sensor mat installed in the front passenger seat may fail due to repeated flexing of the mat from use of the seat. As a result, during a crash necessitating deployment, the air bag will deploy regardless of whether the front seat occupant is an adult or a child.
Consequence

Air bag deployment with a child in the front passenger side seat increases the risk of injury to that child.
What Owners Should Do

Suzuki will notify owners and dealers will replace the front passenger seat cushion assembly (which includes the OCS sensor mat) free of charge. Sufficient quantities of parts are not currently available to fix all of the affected vehicles. Owners will be notified of the recall in October 2013 and will receive a second notification when parts are available to have their vehicle repaired. The recall began on May 23, 2014. Owners may contact Suzuki at 1-800-934-0934. Suzuki's recall campaign number is VD.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/recalls/suzuki-sx4-2008/#tHZCW3rmIyoILYql.99

·
Registered
853 Posts
hi, my suzuki sx4 2007 has the airbag light on ...
Where are you? USA? Canada?....Somewhere else ?
I think there is no time limit...
.and I kind of remember that it said "when it begins to behave improperly".....or was that for another recall....anway, since this one is still OK, I have not had the recall executed yet..
.not sure if I have the paper....maybe somewhere...???.

BUt..which airbag light ? ..are you talking the airbag light on the main instrument panel or the passenger airbag disable light (that comes ON only if an infant occupies the passenger seat) ? .so....add some precision to your description...

the effect of the "passenger airbag problem" is to KEEP the airbag active even if a child occupied the seat...that is, the passenger airbag disable light STAYS OFF.....which is the opposite of what you describe, unless your PASSENGER AIRBAG INACTIVE light is ON when a full size passenger is on the seat....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
USA, CA. On the main dashboard. The passenger air bag light only comes on once in a while at random times. Basically, the air bag light in my main panel is red always on... Meaning there is something wrong with my airbag

·
Registered
853 Posts
The main air bag light (on the instrument panel) has no relation with the recall. It means there is a problem.
The passenger air bag light would come on ONLY if a light weight passenger (an infant) in on the passenger seat. It is NORMAL it stays OFF with a full size passenger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I see. Ok, is there anyway to see what is wrong with the airbag system without having to go to a dealership or buy an expensive kit?

I don't think there are any Suzuki dealerships in USA anymore.... at least not by my area.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I called my Mitsubishi dealer today. (They are the recall and warranty guys in London Ont.)
I got great news! They told me to bring it in and they will scan it. If the right code is present then they will order the parts and install them when they come in.
I asked if this was a recall and they said that it was something different. I can't recall right now exactly what she called it.
Anyway it's a free repair!
Oh, I asked about the 10 year or 100000 mile thing. (My car is an 08 with 233000km) She said that was fine!
Yea!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's done! All free of charge.
A few things to note: My car has 237000km on it. 137 over the 100000km cut off that I read somewhere. They still won't call it a recall at the dealer ship... There calling it a courtesy replacement.
I asked if it was a plug and play fix and the service guy told me that they had to use the Suzuki tool to clear the code.
Anyway it fixed the problem. Now there is a dinging when someone is in the seat without there seat belt on.
I'm really happy with the service that I was given from this dealer. Mitsubishi London in London Ont. They gave me a ride to work and back and even washed the car after they fixed it.
Good luck with all your seat / airbag light fixes guys.
Marty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts