Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty much know nothing about cars, so excuse my idiocy. I guess I'm not explaining it well enough to others. I'm just wondering what this is exactly so I can get it fixed. Any ideas on cost as well?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum! it looks like you have a very bad battery leak and the battery acid ate away at your battery terminal connection. this might be the part your going to need but im not positive
2005 SUZUKI RENO Parts - Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store
you need the battery cable and fusible link, the piece of metal with the blue fuse right off the battery terminal in your pic. unless you can get the fusible link mount cleaned up. just call and make sure thats the right part. i would also purchase a new battery. at the very least have yours checked. any other questions just ask. let us know how everything turns out.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
probably from the link above. give them a call and make sure the part on the site is the one you need and if the fusible link is included or if they have the part for sale. thats if you even need it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. So, you're saying I might need a new positive cable, correct? And (possibly) a new fusible link? Wouldn't just a new battery terminal be fine? I see no damage to the cable itself.. just the part that connects to the battery? Just going off observation... you guys here know way more... so I'm probably wrong.. lol.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. Never to many questions. Yeah I wasn't really totally thinking last night. If the cable is ok you can just replace the end. You should also get a battery acid neutralizer. I forget what's its called. It comes in a spray can. You just spray it on and it will make the battery acid harmless then you just clean it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a special terminal for Suzuki models? Because it didn't look like any terminals I've seen. If so, where would I find one?

Also, I'd like to say you've been very informative and a big help. It's very much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
That's why I was suggesting calling the folks from Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store. In your photo the part still on the battery is the cable end. The other piece to the right with the nut on it is a bracket that bolts to the cable and holds a fuse, the blue box to the right. I'm not sure if you need the whole positive cable or can get away with just the end if the cable because the bracket looks pretty corroded too. I haven't been able to find a picture of the cable online. I can take a look at mine tomorrow and see what it looks like. I live in an apartment and park around the corner in a parking garage so I can't just take a look outside :)
Thank you!! Glad I've been able to help if only a little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Let me know, please. I can't do anything until Wednesday anyways.. so I'd like to know more before I make any purchases!

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. So I went and had a look at my cable. It is in fact an unusual battery clamp. There's two wires to the clamp and one off the fuse. Attaches is a pic to give you a better idea of what it's supposed to look like. I'm not sure you'll be able to find a replacement without either going to a dealer or Suzuki Car Parts Catalog Online Store. In fact your best bet to find a cheap one might be to call a few junk Yards and see if they have anything. Or maybe ebay. Theres a few Junkyards that sell parts for these cars. If you ask one of them they might have one and be willing to set up an auction for you. Ive done this before most sellers are very nice, not all but most :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
From looking at yours, mine corroded off at one spot (blue line). Any further ideas? I called the Suzuki Car Parts place a few minutes ago and explained my situation, with no luck. They didn't even have a diagram of the battery/battery cables to look at. The guy was pretty much useless, which is disappointing. So I still have no idea what I actually need to replace.

Edit: I also took another look at my cabling and I don't have the smaller red wires that attach to the terminal (Indicated by the blue circle in the picture)

Edit: Nor do I see the larger blue/red cable to the left of the smaller indicated ones that's attached to the terminal.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi. You won't have those wires. They run other things in my car and I added them on. Did you ask if the terminal connection was included with the replacement positive battery cable? If they don't know maybe ask to speak to someone else or the manager? Ok, I looked quick online. I think if you were to get a replacement like the one in the link below you would be able to connect the bracket to the top of it. Might work out fine. Let us know.
2003-2010 Toyota Tundra Battery Cable End - Body Electrical - Genuine 03-10 Tundra Battery Cable End - 8226-01085272 - PartsGeek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Okay, so I took it to a local shop just now and they fixed it for $20. Pretty much did what you suggested in your last post. Picture attached.

Also, I plan on getting a new battery I'm the next few minutes here. I really do appreciate all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick question.. when I press the acceleration the car lags a little.. as if it weren't getting enough gas.. it wasn't doing that before.. it just started doing it today (after I got the battery fixed). It doesn't do it constantly.. it's randomly... sorry for being a bother lol

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hi! Glad you were able to get it all fixed and that I could help. You should start a new post about the sluggish exceleration that way everyone will see it. Others might be able to help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts