Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I heard that I can switch out my catalytic converter to a high flow converter and it will give me better gas mileage. but would a high flow make my car loud? I like my cars to be quite. Also had someone tell me a set of headers will do the trick also. I had a guy tell me about a colder thermostat (which I thought the heater in my car would get as warm as it does now) and a new racing radiator. Which one of these, or all of them, would someone recommend?

Also if anyone has any tricks about getting better MPG with their Suzuki please message me.

Thank you so much for checking this out.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A high flow cat, headers, colder thermostat or racing radiator are all oriented towards performance - not fuel economy. These are all items that will either allow the engine to make more power directly by letter it breathe easier OR support more power by increasing the cooling capacity.

To be more specific, installing headers and a high flow cat should theoretically give you a slight fuel economy increase as the engine will not have to work as hard to push out the exhaust gases. But the increase would be very minimal - almost unnoticeable - unless your factory cat was clogged or something.

Installing a colder thermostat will actually DECREASE your fuel economy as the entire engine will run colder, and slightly less efficiently. However, colder stats are useful when the engine has been significantly modified and generates far more heat at a faster rate than stock - for example when a turbo charger has been added. I run a colder stat in mine for this reason. Same pretty much goes for the larger radiator - you will see absolutely no benefit unless you are generating significantly more heat than stock

1 - 2 of 2 Posts