Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I have a good one for you. A while back I replaced the horn on my '07 Forenza with an aftermarket one and it recently stopped working. I thought it was a corrosion issue so I removed the horn, cleaned the contacts up, reconnected it, but nothing. Removed the old connectors, stripped the wires and attached new ones, nothing.

Here's the facts:
-battery terminal voltage= 12.56V
-horn works (ran jumper cables from the battery to the contacts, horn sounded)
-voltage at connectors w/ horn button held down= 12.56V
-with horn connected and button held down, horn does not sound (measured voltage between connectors= 0V)
-ensured positive and negative wires are attached to correct contacts

With 12V at the connectors, and knowing that the horn will sound when those same 12V are applied straight from the battery, the only reason I can think of for why the horn isn't sounding is that it must be an issue with a relay or something. I can't for the life of me figure out why I have proper voltage at the connectors, but when I try to apply a load to that circuit, nothing happens. Help!

Just to add to the confusion, I have a splitter going to another horn (the aftermarket horn I got was a high and low frequency combo pack). This 2nd horn was dead when I tested it, and when I placed those connectors onto my functional horn, it sounded. I'm just lost in the sauce on this one. Thanks in advance for any input.

Respectfully,
-BM

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
so horn works on the "second horn" wires but not on the set its connected to? is that correct?

if thats the case, you have a break in one of the wires between the 2 horns, check the splice point, they have been known to corrode and while they look ok, they are actually not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so horn works on the "second horn" wires but not on the set its connected to? is that correct?

if thats the case, you have a break in one of the wires between the 2 horns, check the splice point, they have been known to corrode and while they look ok, they are actually not.
That's correct, the horn works on the "second horn" wires but not on the "first horn" wires. I believe I split the single hot wire and routed it to each horn and then grounded them separately. If that ground wire on the "first horn" is corroded, that would make sense as to why the "first horn" wires aren't working but the "second horn" wires are. What's throwing me off is I measured the voltage coming off the "first horn" wires and got 12v when I press the button, but it doesn't sound the horn. I guess it makes sense now that although I can read that voltage, it doesn't necessarily mean that the connection is strong enough to run the current the horn needs through it. I'll try bypassing the ground wire and see if that makes it work. Thanks for the help!

Respectfully,
-BM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts