Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
hi welcome to the forum. i think theres two cats and one resonator? but not positive. are you looking to do a custom exhaust? without cats the car will probable throw a code. not really sure about the resonator. your exhaust will be louder because its purpose is to help quiet the exhaust. i have a custom exhaust with no resonator but i do have a cat in the system

·
Registered
117 Posts
in 2007 it was redone to cut manuf. cost.

1 cat (pre-cat) and 2 resonators.

Technically you don't need them, but I'd think you wouldn't enjoy the sound that it would make. Unless you've got a new intake mani, exhaust mani, and some kind of low resonating muffler it's going to sound very ricey..and in my opinion -not very good.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My version

Do I need the resonators on my 07 suzuki forenza
Those actually are two inline mufflers, they have deafening material in them. Resonators don't, think hollow glass pack/cherry bomb. The pics say it all.

Here's what I did:

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
not too sure about that.. every catalog and manual says resonator so I imagine that is what they are.
And its not the internal material that makes a difference in what it is, but rather the length of the pipe, and size of the 'hole' on the inside of the resonator. The mission of a resonator is to regulate back-pressure. The length and size of of certain components within the resonator dictate this pressure strength.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hey Nathan are you responding to tr guy above you? Lolol
A resonator is designed to help deaden sound. Its designed Iside so that sound waves bounce off the walls and cancel each other out. There's no packing inside a resonator. And their not used to regulate back pressure. They cut out rasp and help quiet pops and such. A muffler will have holes in it leading to chambers designed to reflect sound waves and packing to help absorb the sound waves. Usually a fiberglass material. A glass pack, purple meanie, cherry bomb, side pipes, don't have the chambers like a regular muffler does to reflect sound waves. They just have packing inside separated from the pipe by a screen material designed to capture some of the sound waves. That's why this type of exhaust is louder and a little more free flowing.
How's the build going Nathan?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hrmm, I was under the impression that a muffler (hence the word muff, as in muffled) deadens sound, while a resonator regulates backpressure (hence the word resonate). Perhaps its just a common misconception, or I simply may just be wrong.

As far as the build everything has basically grinded to a halt. My son was born and everything has basically stopped lol. I'm still planning for the spring/ may-ish to begin, as that's when I'll be finished up with school and little Junior won't be needing a diaper change every 30 minutes lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK.

I was wrong.

I did have a misconception about the resonator CHAMBER inside of some mufflers which you described above, 7even.
And I apologize for sounding shrewd in that last post, it's hard to sound sincere on the internet lol

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hey congratulations!! Great news on both your son and graduation! You didn't sound shrewd at all don't worry about it. I'm still learning everyday even about things I think I know already lolol. Hope you'll be able to find time for the build in the spring. Be looking for updates. I'm collecting the last bits for my build now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alright, to clear this up: yes they are cataloged as "resonators" I'm just letting everyone know it's a bad description...meaning they(2!) weigh more than actual resonators and it is more efficient(less weight) to replace them with a good inline muffler if you want the tone to be the same or lower. If not, then replace them with piping. Btw, when you're dealing with converters(secondary cat?!) what sensor would be after it?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hey Brad. The one after the cat is the downstream o2 sensor. I think bank two but not positive. I also believe it's a heated o2 sensor. Is that what you want to know?

·
Registered
70 Posts
No, was asking other people that question. It seems some confuse the first resonator being part of the catalytic system. If that were true, then the second oxygen sensor would be after it. My $.02s

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Hahaha!!! Now that you say that I totally understand your post :) that'll teach my to post when not paying full attention.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Forenzas before 06 or 07 had 2 cats, starting in 07 or 06 they began to use the "pre cat" as the only converter. The placement was where the first inline muffler sits in an 07 or 06.. Can't remember exactly when they began to do this. But I know for a fact 04's and 05's have 2 catalytic converters...I think that's where the confusion lays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts