Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2007 Suzuki Carry 1.6 gasoline-engined manual-transmission 5-speed truck here in Thailand. It has an owner's manual in both Thai and English that helpfully tell me how much oil in engine, gearbox and back axle. However, unhelpfully it doesn't say what oil is to be used.

The engine is no problem, most multigrade oils will do but the gearbox and back axle obviously do not use the thinner grade oils. Can anyone tell me what oil for gearbox - example perhaps SAE 90? Or the back axle - same as gearbox, or a hypoid SAE140?

Why on earth do Suzuki, who schedule every single bulb in the vehicle in their manual, not tell an owner what oil for the bloody gearbox? Crazy!

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
GL4 of the required grade for your climate in he gearbox, 75W-90 should be fine. DO NOT put a GL5 (hypoid) oil in your gearbox.

GL5 in the diff (hypoid oil) here again depending on conditions, somewhere around a 90 weigh I would expect would be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GL4 of the required grade for your climate in he gearbox, 75W-90 should be fine. DO NOT put a GL5 (hypoid) oil in your gearbox.

GL5 in the diff (hypoid oil) here again depending on conditions, somewhere around a 90 weigh I would expect would be fine.
Got that - thank you very much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi - just a thought - the Suzi has done 320,000 plus km and the transmission does whine a little, thinking as i can readily get it to take on board your GL5 for the diff but be kind to it and use a 140 weight as I can get it and it is bloody hot here anyway. What do you think? That ok?

·
Registered
9,356 Posts
You could go higher weight, check the viscosity vs ambient ratings, too thick and it won't flow correctly when the vehicle is in use, multi grade 90-140 might be a better option than a straight 140
thicker oil isn't going to stop a whine caused by wear.

·
Super Moderator
15,012 Posts
I would strongly suggest you stick with the 75W90 rather than switch to the heavier oil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only asked about the heavier oil because when I left school I worked in a garage as a trainee grease-monkey/semi-skilled fitter between 1962 - 1964 and in those days we filled diffs up with hypoid 90 and hypoid 140 and I remembered that. Mind you, to stop rust we also sprayed the entire underside of the cars in Cephas oil - underseal not then being invented. I guess things have probably moved on since then? Didn't have sealed ball joints or steering swivels either, they and wishbone bushes & prop-shaft UJ's all had grease nipples - I've still got my treasured Wanner grease gun with a flexi end after all these years! I notice that the Suzi has no grease points at all! Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cliveshep, The older we get, the more we have to relearn some of our 'old school' thoughts. I'm 82 and have been turning wrenches since the mid 50s. Most of my working life, I worked as a fleet mechanic doing mostly diesel engines & hydraulic system work. I am an American, retired, and now living in the Philippines. I do not recognize the flag at your name so don't know the country, but you state it is hot,same as where I moved to. All that being said, I can now move to the reason for this post. When I moved here, I bought a 2002 Suzuki Carryvan, K6A, 5MT, 2wd showing some 250xxx on the odometer. I still do my own maintenance and while changing oil, my 'old school' thought was "it is a hot climate so thick oil is needed" and so I installed 20-50 oil. Soon it started to smoke severely at startup each day which would go away as it warmed up so I figured I would soon have to do the valve seals. Before I could gather all the required materials to do the valve seals, it came due for the oil to be changed again. As it happened, they were out of stock of the 20-50 oil so I bought 5-30 which it called for anyway and put the lighter weight oil in. My severe smoke at startup went away and since that time, I have done multiple oil changes and have been using 5-30 oil and still have not done the valve seals. Newer technology in these newer vehicles.

The Moral of the story is to use the recommended material and us old dogs can learn some new tricks.

Fred

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Fred, Used to stay in the Phils, in Bagabag, Nueva Vizcaya, married to a filipina. The Chief of Police in N V is still my friend today - he taught my whole family to shoot using up over 1000 rounds of 9mm and a few hundred of .45. Got into a shooting comp with the Mayor of Bayombong and the Vice Governor of Nueva Vizcaya. I and Vice tied! But eventually it all fell apart, divorced, met a married a lovely young Thai "school-girl" - well she was still in College and then UNI. That was 10 years ago, we lived in England for a while but 6 years ago at 69 I retired from Construction Management and my lovely wife and I moved to her country, Thailand, where we bought a big house, a car, a Suzi truck and a bike and 4 bloody great dogs 3 of which we adopted from pups found in the jungle. Thailand is probably as hot as the Philippines but I won't be putting heavy oils into the engine and will now settle for the 90 oils recommended, hypoid for the diff only. Like your comments - I'm only a babe of 75 still chasing girls, well, not actually chasing unless they are fat and slow haha, kidding, my wife is wonderful. Well done still looking after cars at 82 - more power to your elbow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts