Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:
My 2007 Reno with only 13k on it lost all the transmission fluid going up a hill and before I could turn off the motor it fried the tranny!

The dealership replaced it quick in just two days and it was still under warranty so it cost me nothing. They showed me the pinch clamp that they said was moved back about three inches from where it was supposed to be. The clamp was on the hose that connects the tranny to the coolant system underneath the engine. It had popped completely off! I could see where the indentation from the "moved" clamp was on the hose as they were putting in my new tranny.

Has this happened to anyone else? The car has been very reliable up until two days ago.

They asked if I had any enemies (I don't) because they had never seen this before. I am in the Birmingham Alabama area.

They also said that maybe it happened at my last oil change (3k ago) since the tranny is on a closed system they may have popped off the hose to check fluid color and not put it back on correctly. But we both kinda ruled that out since that clamp and hose are under extreme pressure, it would have come off MANY miles earlier.

Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Wow...that's crazy. Never heard of anything like this before. I'm glad it got fixed ASAP and hassle free.

Also,
Am I supposed to "baby" my new tranny for awhile?
Sorta, I just wouldn't beat the hell out of it for awhile. Maybe someone else will know better. I know when breaking in an engine there are two ways that work best and neither seams to be better than the other. With the engine you either baby it, or beat the hell out of it to break it in.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Whoa never heard of that either. Yah either you got someone who doesn't like you or just really bad luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, My car has a leak in the same spot as well all though it does not sound as sever as you. It's getting fixed this week my car is no longer under the 'bumper to bumper' warranty. The Chev dealership said the warranty does not cover 'hoses' under the bumper to bumper warranty anyway,- shitty deal. It's going to cost me about 170$ to get it fixed. Right now I am still driving it (they topped it off with new fluid) I drive it quite a bit to work etc. My steering wheel shakes while driving and at stop signs. Chev dealership said this is because it's low on tranny fluid. Could this be causing sever damage to my transmission, and will the 160 000km warranty cover a new tranmission if something did happen to my tranmission as a result of this??

·
Registered
99 Posts
There's no reason the warranty shouldn't cover hoses. I was told the only items my warranty doesn't cover is general wear items, such as brakes and tires. They said EVERYTHING connected to the engine and transmission is covered.

I call BS on your Chevy dealership.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I call BS on your Chevy dealership.
Chevy Canada may have a totally different warranty write up than the Suzuki warranty.

04Optra5 - Read your warranty booklet from front to back. It should say what is covered and what is not covered for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the vehicle used so I don't have a warranty booklet. My bumper to bumper warranty expired-The dealership said the extended warranty doesn't cover hoses,belts etc. I've googled this and havent really found an answer. I guess no one on this site knows aything about tranmissions? My real concern is driving for the next couple days while my car is low on tranmission fluid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey there,
This is the guy who had the hose just pop off the reno and got a destroyed tranny.
It sucks that you may have to fork out some bucks if you are not under warranty. If you are the mechanically inclined type, you may want to replace the hoses yourself. I'm sure there are some threads on this forums and helpful folks like those who have helped me in the past.

BUT be careful!!!
The dude at the dealership told me about how much pressure these hoses are under and if one pops off or develops a more serious leak, a destroyed transmission will cost a hell of a lot more than it would to get new hoses.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Chevy Canada may have a totally different warranty write up than the Suzuki warranty.

04Optra5 - Read your warranty booklet from front to back. It should say what is covered and what is not covered for you.
Ah, I never pay attention to locations.

Also, didn't realize it was the extended warranty and not the original warranty.

The hoses should not be under pressure when the car is off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts