Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara in the Bahamas and I need to replace the motor. After little research I have found that my car has a J20A motor which was not offered in the grand Vitara in the USA. My question is does anybody know if the US models that came with the J20A (my research tells me that the 99-03 Tracker, 02-03 Aerio and the 99-03 Vitara all came with the J20A) would be the same as what's in my vehicle? Or does anybody know if the J20A in the 3 US models are all the same? Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also would it matter if the engine came from a manual transmission as I have an automatic?

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
I suspect you have a J20B rather than a J20A - the thing is, I'm not sure when Suzuki switched from the A to the B - so let's assume I'm wrong and you do have a J20A - it's going to be a "later" version of the A - and pretty much everything from the headgasket up will be different.

Pull your engine cover (the plastic that sits above the engine) and find the cam position sensor - if I'm right it's on the intake side, near the back - the older engines have it on the back of the head on the exhaust side.

Different head, different cams, cam sensor, you may or may not have hydraulic valve lifters (early engines did, later ones had solid lifters), the intake manifold is different (plastic), and that's just off the top of my head.

What's wrong with your engine - why does it need to be replaced rather than rebuilt?

I don't have access to the parts information for your year, but I suspect the basic parts - piston & rings, bearings & so on will interchange with the older models, and what doesn't should be available from the Caribbean dealers - the J20A engine models were sold throughout the Caribbean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info fordem. I am sure it's an A as that is what the ID tag in the engine bay says. We are going to pull the motor down tomorrow to see if she can be rebuilt. We will start by just pulling the base pan as the motor runs....it just has a bad knock. Hopefully we can just polish the journals, replace the bearings and be done (wishful thinking). I was looking at going the engine swap route as it's going to be cheaper than a full rebuild. The head on the older motors do look a little different. I will confirm the sensor placement tomorrow and advise. The 2007-2009 SX4 head (from looking at Pics) looks to be identical to what I have. Even the plastic engine cover seems to be the same. Once again I will look at the pictures of the SX4 motor next to my motor tomorrow. One thing I did notice was the SX4 motor sits horizontal and mine sits vertical in the engine bay. I am not sure if this will make a difference?

·
Administrator
16,306 Posts
The SX4 engine should be similar, if not identical to yours - you would need however to swap the ancillaries - intake, exhaust, oil pan and so on across because of the differences in the mounting, which by the way is not horizontal/vertical - it's transverse (the SX4) and longitudinal (the GV).

There are also minor differences between an automatic transmission & a manual - again - the parts can usually be swapped over - but - I think you'd really have to go out of your way to find a manual transmission vehicle in the US - I've tried - entire dealer lots with no more than one manual transmission (if any), and in one case the closest dealer with a manual in stock was 180 miles away on the other side of the state.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Fordem. You have been a great help. I will be sure to revert back with all of my findings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
the vitara didnt have the j20b, the sx4 has the j20b. you could prob just use a bottom end off a earlier vitara and wack your head on if its still ok and if its different to the later ones

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah early sx is the a too. The sx with the b also has the 6spd manual instead if the 5

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I have exhausted all options. Just ordered a 2008 SX4 engine and I have my fingers crossed that the two are interchangeable. I will be sure to advise. Thanks again for all of the help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi to all, I just finished my engine swap. I bought a 2007 SX4 engine and put her in my International 2007 Grand Vitara. All I had to do was replace the base pan, intake and exhaust manifold and the flywheel. She is now back on the road running like a champ. Thanks to all for the help. Now to gamble on my 2.0 XK I6 to 2.5 XK I6 engine swap. Got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
was the bit above the sump the same as the vitara? the crank gridle type part i have noticed on pics of the sx4 engine they looked steel where as im pretty sure mine was alloy.
is there any improvement in power the sx4 runs higher compression then the vitara j20

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey orangeute, sorry for my extremely delayed response. I did,not notice any differences in the motor other than what I listed. I have already dumped the old engine to compare the piece you are talking about. Sorry. I have noticed a bit better acceleration with the new motor and I guess that must have to do with the higher compression. I do also notice that my fuel economy is a bit better with the new motor as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts